Cant get to external HD over network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ^^ CoolMacLover, Sep 11, 2010.

1. ^^ CoolMacLover macrumors regular

^^ CoolMacLover

Here it goes:

I have my iMac, with a 2TB HD connected to it, i have airport on and a network made, with file sharing on, and the HD i want to share added to the "Shared Folders"

I have my MBP, connected to the wireless network i have coming from my iMac, i am connected as an admin on my MBP to my iMac.

But i cant see the 2TB HD on my MBP. :confused: What have i done wrong?

[​IMG]
    :confused::confused::confused:

2. AppleCode macrumors regular

AppleCode

does the admin account have read write permissions on the external HD? Somewhat related

3. ^^ CoolMacLover thread starter macrumors regular

^^ CoolMacLover

Well i dont think so, and i cant add any cause the + and - buttons are greyed out, and i cant change permissions either for the accounts already there. *another thing, there is two of the same accounts (Jack) on there, but the icon is different...*

4. AppleCode macrumors regular

AppleCode

You could check that out by going to the hd on the imac and typing :apple: I. ( change the permissions for the admin and everybody else) The different icon indicates a group

5. ^^ CoolMacLover thread starter macrumors regular

^^ CoolMacLover

I can read & write, but it wont let me change that.
    [​IMG]

6. AppleCode macrumors regular

AppleCode

Maybe it has to be reformatted for mac os extended journaled have you tried connecting it directly to the macbook to change the settings.

7. ^^ CoolMacLover thread starter macrumors regular

^^ CoolMacLover

I just tried connecting it to the MBP, its all the same, even i tried sharing it from the MBP to imac, and its the same thing, cant change the permissions or anything. I cant really reformat it, because i dont have the space to put all the files... :/ Grr...

8. AppleCode macrumors regular

AppleCode

Strange, um i would maybe buy a airport express for the usb port and see if that works. Other than that maybe try sharepoints