Can't get to two websites in any browser, please help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cclark, Jan 24, 2010.

1. cclark macrumors newbie

I updated from Tiger to Snow Leopard last night and had no trouble until this afternoon. Since 2 pm today I haven't been able to access facebook.com or livejournal.com in Safari, Firefox, or Chrome. I checked downforeveryoneorjustme.com so I know it isn't on their end and my roommates who are all on the same network as me are all able to get to those sites. I've tried pretty much everything I could find, I reset safari, emptied the cache, renewed the DHCP Lease, no proxies are checked in the settings, etc. I don't know what else to try. Any ideas?

2. cclark thread starter macrumors newbie

I've actually tried that too with no success. This morning I was able to get to facebook.com but still can't reach livejournal

3. tonyburkhart macrumors regular

tonyburkhart

1. What does it say in the browsers, when you try to navigate to livejournal?

2. Have you tried Googling "livejournal" and clicking on one of the results, other than the main page?

3. Have you tried with and without the "www" in front of it?

4. Are there any web-sites restricted or redirected via terminal to 127.0.0.1?

4. cclark thread starter macrumors newbie

It says, "Safari can’t open the page “http://www.livejournal.com/” because Safari can’t connect to the server “www.livejournal.com”."

I've tried to navigate to the site other ways unsuccessfully. I read two communities hosted on livejournal and I'm not able to get to either of them. Googling livejournal and removing www don't seem to help.

And I'm not sure what you mean by number 4? Could you explain please?

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

If you don't understand his number 4 then you very likely don't need to worry about it.

As another idea, if you have access to the router, unplug it and leave unplugged for about a minute and replug it in, or reboot it if it has another method. I use to have an occasional issue with Yahoo and doing this would help. The router just sometimes needs resetting.

6. tonyburkhart macrumors regular

tonyburkhart

Number four means that someone who has access to you computer, with knowledge of the terminal application may have been playing a joke on you, by redirecting the entry of livejournal.com. It is highly unlikely, but that's why it was number four on the list.

Also, as angelwatt stated, try resetting the router, if you have physical access to it.

What brand of router are you connecting to? Also, what's the general set-up of the network and how many users (room mates) - (ie - home, office, apartment, etc.)?

7. cclark thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys for your help!

Unfortunately resetting the router didn't fix the problem. It's a linksys router, model WRT110. I live in an apartment with 3 roommates, I'm the only one with a mac, so I'm pretty sure none of them would know how to do anything in terminal. We have Charter (cable) and all connect wirelessly.

Do you think this problem has anything to do with my upgrade to Snow Leopard? I was browsing those sites fine immediately after the install but couldn't access them about 12 hours later.

8. cclark thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, I can access facebook about 20% of the time. These are probably my 2 most visited sites, I'm wondering if that might have something to do with it?

9. tonyburkhart macrumors regular

tonyburkhart

Do you think someone may have tried to setup access restrictions on the WRT110?

They could have tried time/date restrictions and it could have been botched or just the natural bugginess of access restrictions could have done you in.

When you said "resetting it didn't fix it...", did you just power cycle it, or did you reset the WRT100 to its default settings? I would try the latter, if that's not what you did.

10. cclark thread starter macrumors newbie

I asked my roommates and none of them have tinkered with any settings. And I tried both power cycling the router and resetting it. However, I just discovered that I'm able to navigate the sites via proxy.

11. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Along these lines, a tactic you can try is to use a different DNS. Google offers 2 DNS addresses you can use and may give you better results (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4). Just pop them into your Network settings in System Preferences. I used them to fix an issue Opera has on Snow Leopard hanging with IPv6 lookups.