can't get true disk free space anywhere in Mavericks

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by btownguy, Nov 26, 2013.

1. btownguy macrumors 6502

This is from a fresh install of OSX Mavericks on a mid-2009 15" MBP.

If I go to "About This Mac" and check out Storage, I get the following image. "Other" should be about 168 Gb and it says "Zero KB".

[​IMG]

If I do a "Get Info" on my Documents folder (all my business documents", it shows:

[​IMG]

If I look at the status bar in Finder, it shows:

[​IMG]

None of these are correct. It's like Mavericks isn't counting any of the documents in Documents. Any ideas?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Download and use OmniDiskSweeper. It will provide a sorted list of what's consuming your space.

3. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

you can always type this into terminal

sudo du -d 1 -x -g -c /

It will give you answer in GB (takes about a minute to run)

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

OS X uses the Spotlight index to calculate these numbers and your Spotlight index is corrupt and showing wrong sizes as evidenced by Other showing zero. Other always shows something.

Code:
    sudo mdutil -E /
    Enter this command in Terminal and wait for Spotlight to reindex and you should then see the correct amounts.

Even then though that graphic and Finder will not match total free space because the space used by Time Machine's local backups is not included in the Finder total used. That is normal and you can read about it here.

5. chrfr macrumors 603

Mavericks Finder (and Mountain Lion Finder) don't count the space used for local backups.