can't get used to safari5 as my default browser

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stefan1975, Aug 3, 2010.

1. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

because of all the problems i have been reading about with the graphics switching error in chrome and opera where they use the nvidia card instead of the intel IGP i have been trying to get used to safari as my default browser. I would really like to get more battery life if at all possible.

I am not sure what it is that is bugging me, but for some reason safari annoys the heck out of me. I love the fonts, the coverflow history, the 3d speed dial, the reader feature, the progress bar in the address field and there are some half decent extensions out now. It is also pretty fast, although not as fast as chrome i wouldn't mind using it for lack of speed.

Safari seems to be missing a lot of things i have been taking for granted in both chrome and opera 10.6 that make it hard for me to decide between features and battery life.

tabs on top are so much more logical from a gui design perspective, the address bar is part of a tab and should not be 'above' it since it differs per tab. why don't hey just revert to the safari4-beta behaviour?

What I really miss most in safari is the omnibar principle from chrome and opera, why do i need to search in that additional field, why does it error out when i search in the address bar and then suggests i try searching for it, making me click again?

Searching-as-you type is also i really got used to and miss a lot when using safari.

I also love the cloud features of chrome and opera, i have my extensions, bookmarks, history, passwords everything synced to all computers i use them on. This is so convenient. Whenever i reinstalled my linux box it took me hours to get my browser all set to my liking again.

all in all i feel i should be liking safari far better, it has lots of plusses over the other two but after using it for an hour or so i always fall back to chrome6 and even opera 10.6 for browsing.

i really *want* to like safari and get the most out of my battery, so why don't i?

2. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

sounds like you just wanted a mac version of the other browsers, this is a unique browser for a reason, i have my passwords saved and my tabs and my book marks and my top pages, i mean its very fast reliable and it just works very very well, i would not drive a chevrolet car and then a cadilac and expect the same thing, they each have there pros and cons.