Can't get UV filter off

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jimmys, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Jimmys macrumors newbie

I have a 58mm UV filter on my lens and I can't get it off. It will not unscrew. Is there anything I can do it feels like I am going to break something if I twist any harder.

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Try it with a paper towel and try to grip only the part that doesn't spin.

Is it a circular polarizer?

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

He said it's a UV filter. So I assume the entire filter doesn't spin.

If you don't care about the filter take a hack saw and saw two small cuts into opposite sides of the filter. Then insert a steel ruler into the cuts and use those to give you more leverage. That's what I did to get off a UV filter that had deformed after a drop. The threads on the lens were, thankfully, unharmed...

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Or a rubber glove. Gives great grip... as it were.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Unlike these which I bought. They are worse than bare hands :(

6. toxic macrumors 68000

you need to apply pressure all around the filter (or as much as you can). if it still won't come off, get a filter wrench.

7. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

8. oblomow macrumors 68020

oblomow

or put a broad rubber band around it and squeeze it tightly with your fingers and twist.

9. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Dont use a hammer!!

Use a rubber band. Preferably one that's bigger like a big red one. wrap it around the filter and twist it right off. I've used this method many times.

10. iGary Guest

iGary

I mattscotted. :D

Rubber band or gloves sound like a good idea. Let us know how you make out. :)

11. jampat macrumors 6502a

Try to use really light pressure on the filter. If you squeeze too hard, the ring deforms and you won't get anywhere.

12. Jimmys thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I tried a rubber band and gloves nothing worked. So I took it to a camera service and repair shop it took them a lot to get if off with there special tool but finally it came off!!! The threads on the lens are ok but the ones on the filter are gone.

13. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

This is exactly what you don't want to do. Squeezing tightly with your fingers deforms the ring slightly (makes pressure points where your fingers are) and makes it harder to remove.

You want to apply even pressure to the entire circumference of the filter to avoid "pinching" any one area and that will reduce the friction. I like to cup the face of the filter in the palm of my hand so the entirety of the filter ring is pressed in my palm, giving even pressure all around. I found this to work pretty well. That said, however, you can only press on the filter front so hard. After a few times having trouble removing the filter I learned not to tighten it down too much either (usually I tighten it down using the palm method as well, just so it's snug).

Ruahrc

14. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

15. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

For future reference, an "old trick" is to use a rubber-soled shoe, as it can grip the entire front of the filter ring, I suspect most of the rubber jar openers will perform the same way.

16. gekko macrumors 6502

I didn't know rubber jar openers existed. At home it was just called "dad".

17. Tangy2one macrumors newbie

I can confirm cupping and gently giving even pressure all round does work! Thanks for this :)

18. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Congrats on being a Macrumors newbie and using the search function!

Also glad you got your filter off. Now make sure you post in the POTD thread!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1750217&page=6

And welcome to the forum!

19. nburwell macrumors 68030

nburwell

I second this. I had a CPL filter stuck on my lens that just wouldn't budge. The rubber gloves gave me the grip I needed to safely remove the filter.

20. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Yeah. I learned the "palm" trick many years ago. It's never failed me. True, you're looking at cleaning the glass because of the palm. But at least the filter's off.