Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jollino

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
Chieti, Italy
I’m in the same boat. When I look under data sources for VO2 Max, there is no sign of my Series 6 watch. Other metrics (heart rate, for example) have it listed. But for some reason the VO2 Max doesn’t recognize the Series 6. I’m going to try to recalibrate and see if that fixes it. But has to be a bug somewhere.

Can you please post an update about it when you have a chance to recalibrate? I tried that with 7.0 and it didn't help, and I haven't tried again with the newer updates.

brezz

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2008
Can you please post an update about it when you have a chance to recalibrate? I tried that with 7.0 and it didn't help, and I haven't tried again with the newer updates.
It worked, recalibrated and went for a 20 minute walk and now it is both listing my Series 6 as a data source and recording VO2.

Brian

jollino

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
Chieti, Italy
It worked, recalibrated and went for a 20 minute walk and now it is both listing my Series 6 as a data source and recording VO2.
That is great to hear! I may just go ahead and do that on my S4 after I complete my monthly challenge (just 7 more minutes to go :D).
Did it start recording VO2 on the first walk after resetting the fitness data?

brezz

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2008
That is great to hear! I may just go ahead and do that on my S4 after I complete my monthly challenge (just 7 more minutes to go :D).
Did it start recording VO2 on the first walk after resetting the fitness data?
Yup, the first one.

Brian

jollino

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
Chieti, Italy
Just tried that and no luck. :( Not a flat surface, but it definitely did record my heart rate for the whole duration.
I wonder if I should have rebooted the watch after resetting the fitness data?

Davelfc

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2014
Liverpool
0EB8A0B3-1164-4083-BA4F-4BC3502FCECB.jpeg

This is my v02 max from 3rd November till yesterday.
I’ve been improving my score since having an issue in October and have had several scans/tests for it.

iI was initially bothered by the backward steps until I realised that the significant lower scores are from my Apple Watch 5 and the higher ones from my Apple Watch 6.

Last edited:

ronm99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 13, 2012
Still no VO2 Max for me ... last update is from July (and I have run 10 miles every day since then). Given the new emphasis on VO2 Max in WatchOS 7.2, I'm hoping that the reading will start again tomorrow.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
Had no readings since October and what did the trick for me was to disable Bluetooth on my iPhone before I went for a run. After that, I had straight seven days of VO2max readings. Strangely, it stopped again on Dec 8th, no idea what happened since. Will give it a try again today.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
Forgot to switch off Bluetooth before my run but got a VO2max value anyway. Is 56 and significantly higher than the previous reading of 53.5.
Seems watchOS 7.2 triggered ist.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
no reading in the last year, but I do not run/walk outside (that I would track, do a lot of mountain biking though).
I looked in the Fitness app (phone) today and noticed in Trends, Cardio Fitness that there was no entry but when clicking on "Learn more" I was brought to the Health app and there I could setup Cardio fitness tracking ... so maybe something will start to show in the next few days

iwayne

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
Santa Clara, California
I’ve been having the same issue. My last reading was in august from my series 5 & not a single reading on my series 6, not even listed as a source in the health app. I went for a 25 minute walk this morning after the update to 7.2 & still the same issue. Reset/recalibrated & will try again later. Very frustrating

Elphiee03

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2020
I’ve been having the same issue. My last reading was in august from my series 5 & not a single reading on my series 6, not even listed as a source in the health app. I went for a 25 minute walk this morning after the update to 7.2 & still the same issue. Reset/recalibrated & will try again later. Very frustrating
I am having the same exact issue! I thought it was because I’ve only had my watch for about 3 weeks (series 6) but even after the update there is no VO2/cardio fitness data at all. I already re calibrated & reset as well and nothing. I wonder why it doesn’t work?

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
Have you tried switching off Bluetooth on your iPhone before going for a walk? This did the trick for me. You have to switch it off in settings, control centre is not sufficient.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Have you tried switching off Bluetooth on your iPhone before going for a walk? This did the trick for me. You have to switch it off in settings, control centre is not sufficient.
good for you, but that is not a solution ...

I went for a min bike this morning and tracked as usual with the outdoor cycling workout and no VO2 reading ...

rcarter3636

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2015
good for you, but that is not a solution ...

I went for a min bike this morning and tracked as usual with the outdoor cycling workout and no VO2 reading ...

My understanding VO2 max will only be calculated with outside run, walks and hikes.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
My understanding VO2 max will only be calculated with outside run, walks and hikes.
But I thought that watchOS 7.2 changed that? Or am I mistaken? And if I am, what did 7.2 add in terms of feature for vo2?

Edit: I was wrong, from Apple's news release:

"Apple Watch already estimates average and higher levels of VO2 max during vigorous outdoor walks, runs, or hikes..."
"watchOS 7 also allows Apple Watch to take cardio fitness measurements as users walk throughout the day, whether or not they are tracking a workout"

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.