Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dantak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2007
I recently bought the adapter from monoprice that puts USB audio and miniDP on an HDMI cable. I don't have any problem getting the signal to my TV and receiver, but I can't control the volume at all with the system volume adjustment on my mac mini. I push the buttons on the keyboard or the tool and nothing happens at all. The volume stays the same. I can however control the volume through applications i.e. iTunes, Hulu, VLC. What gives? Is this a "feature" built into MacOSX. BTW, I can control the volume with the system if I run audio out from the mini to the input on the TV. Any ideas?

dantak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2007
That didn't really work. I installed everything and restarted but the Soundflower application wouldn't execute when I tried. It would just flash and then nothing happened.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
You should only change the volume as late of your audio chain as possible, not at the source (computer).

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
That didn't really work. I installed everything and restarted but the Soundflower application wouldn't execute when I tried. It would just flash and then nothing happened.

Odd. Did it not appear in the taskbar?

Here is the sequence of events as it should happen (using optical output).
  1. Download SoundFlower
  2. Once you have installed it open it up and it should appear in your taskbar then open it and select “Built-in Digital Output” under Soundflower (2ch)
  3. Open System preferences then go to Sound>Output
  4. Set your Output to SoundFlower (2ch)
  5. Enjoy restored optical audio volume control :D.

Edit: Did you run SoundflowerBed? That is the taskbar interface.

dantak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2007
You should only change the volume as late of your audio chain as possible, not at the source (computer).
Thanx for not helping. I posted a question and your response is "just change the volume another way" I'm not an idiot, I can control the volume. I'm not going to control the volume with my receiver because I don't have a remote for it. When music is playing in iTunes and you try to change the volume with the mini remote, it changes the system volume. If you don't have anything useful to say, don't say anything. Thanx for nothing.

dantak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2007

1. Download SoundFlower
  2. Once you have installed it open it up and it should appear in your taskbar then open it and select “Built-in Digital Output” under Soundflower (2ch)

That did it flop. Thanx. I expected an application to open when I ran soundflower bed, not just the icon showing on the status bar. It worked. Thanx for your help

TheDudeAlex

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2011
Brugge (Bruges), Belgium
Thanks

Hey guys,
I know this thread is a bit old, but it helped me a lot so I though I'd thank you guys.
I also bought the USB-to-HDMI cable (with audio of course) and when I plugged it in, everything worked out of the box (Mac OS X 10.6), EXCEPT the volume control...
For a cable that costs that much (wasn't cheap) and was bought from the apple store... it's a shame apple never fixed this.

Anyway. Now with soundflower, all is well in the land of Oz.

Grtz Alex

shahrdad

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2016
iran

1. Download SoundFlower

[doublepost=1466926952][/doublepost]SoundFlower After a few minutes the noise (yosemite)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.