Can't get Windows 7 to install on iMac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Slinkington, May 3, 2010.

1. Slinkington macrumors member

Slinkington

Hi, I've been messing around with this for quite a few hours now and have ended up reinstalling OS X completely. Basically I'm trying to install Windows 7 Home Premium on my 20" Intel iMac running Snow Leopard and the latest version of Boot Camp (3.0.2)

The first problem is that my iMac doesn't like the reflective Windows 7 disk and spits it out without reading it properly. To get around this I'm using an external usb dvd drive which appears to be working just fine. I've partitioned the hard drive with the default 32GB for windows, the next screen asks for the disk, I insert it (to the external drive) and it seems happy and restarts...

... But then it just doesn't do anything. It turns on, chimes, and stays on a white screen for about 5 minutes then restarts... over and over, until I press the power button, turn it on again and hold the alt key down to choose my mac partition.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to fix this? I really need access to Windows for my Uni work, now I have no Windows at all. (I did have XP installed via boot camp previously but have removed that partition and restored the drive - unfortunately I can't reinstall this as I no longer have the disk)

Thanks for any help. :)

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member