can't get yahoo mail to work in mail

Discussion in 'macOS' started by barebackbadger8, Feb 3, 2011.

1. barebackbadger8 macrumors 6502

barebackbadger8

this aint for me (not got a mac, waiting for the MBP refresh) its for my uncle.
    got him to convert to mac 18months ago and his white macbook as been excellent until this tiny little bug
    since last saturday, whenever he opens mail he gets a message to enter his password for his yahoo.co.uk mail account!
    he enters his passwords clicks ok and then it immediately comes up asking for it again!
    he can log on to the yahoo mail website and get his mail so it aint a password issue!
    its been going on for nearly a week now? is there a fix for this?
    (and dont say get mobileme, gmail etc or get office 2011 lol)

2. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

It is my understanding that you need to pay for Yahoo mail forwarding. I may be wrong.

3. barebackbadger8 thread starter macrumors 6502

barebackbadger8

really? but its worked for the last 18months.
    and my windows mail pulls in 2 yahoo accounts and i dont pay!

4. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Maybe I was wrong. I have no other suggestions apart from read this and make sure all your settings are a-ok.

5. barebackbadger8 thread starter macrumors 6502

barebackbadger8

yea they are correct, and prior to that weekend i mentioned nothing has changed!

6. soromak macrumors newbie

I noticed that your uncle has a yahoo.co.uk account.
    For co.uk accounts pop/smtp servers are as follows:

pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk/smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk.

You may also want to check in your uncles settings via webmail whether his pop/forwarding was not accidentally disabled.
    If you want to use IMAP with his account then imap.mail.yahoo.com is a valid imap server address for all yahoo accounts.
    I use yahoo.co.uk and ymail.com with my Mail at the moment and they work okay.

7. applemagic123 macrumors regular

applemagic123

it's a special feature on yahoo, you need to pay for...

I just reformatted my HD and reinstalled osx on it. The mail app would not allow me to add my yahoo account. It stated something to the extent that I needed to add (pay for, basically) some special feature to use POP yahoo. Just ditch the mail app and go to yahoo.com to check email. It's a sad tale, but I'm sure he can live without using mail.app

8. soromak macrumors newbie

AFAIK you only need to pay for POP access in the USA. In the UK and other countries is free but there is an easy way to bypass that restriction. Just Google for it.You can also use imap instead of pop with yahoo, but it is not configured by Mail by default. See my post above.

9. Rumfoord2101 macrumors newbie

Correct
    My yahoo.com wont work but my girlfriends yahoo.ie does. I'll have to look into the work around youve mentioned

10. barebackbadger8 thread starter macrumors 6502

barebackbadger8

ok, dont think its mac mail!
    opened up thunderbird also earlier on my shuttle pc and that is doing the same as my uncle's mac mail was doing!
    so obviously yahoo have done something. not sure what the work around is its ok for me i have numerous email accounts, but he doesnt

11. ezy-e macrumors newbie

Ever resolved?

Glad I found this thread - I'm having exactly the same issue. Yahoo mail on Mac Mail - password not being accepted. Same with Thunderbird. Did anyone ever find out why?