Can't go back to Jaguar on 12" Powerbook

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pinchez, Feb 21, 2008.

1. pinchez macrumors member

I have a 12" Powerbook G4 867MHz with 640mb Ram, When i bought it it had Jaguar on already installed. I then installed Tiger which ran fine.

I have now decided to sell it as i have a Macbook and want to sell it with just the original Jaguar it came with but every time i try to install it it tells me to reboot (can't even boot off the original jaguar disc)

Both the drive and disk are fine but i have no idea what's going on :confused:

Can anyone help?

Thanks

2. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

its possible that Tiger re-wrote the BIOS, meaning it can't be downgraded, you would have to check this with someone else, but i have heard things like this before.

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

The only way to re-install Jaguar is from the original system CDs that shipped with the machine, which you should be able to boot by holding down the C key with the disc in the drive after you hear the startup chime. If that disc will not boot then your discs might have gotten damaged in the intervening years and you will need to see if Apple has replacements.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Use your Tiger Disc to format as HFS+ (Journaling Off), then restart with the Jaguar disc.

The ultimate question, is... Why don't you just sell it with Tiger and include the disc?

TEG

5. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I'd say this is the better option, honestly. The Tiger install you have can't really be used on any other newer Mac, so there's little reason to keep it. Just do an Erase & Install of Tiger and sell it along with the Tiger box/CD.

6. pinchez thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies

I can't sell Tiger with the Powerbook as it's not mine i just borrowed it to see how it works with it. Didn't do anymore than install it really. The Jaguar Disk I have is the original disk that came with the Powerbook and i did an install off it only a week or so ago so i know thats fine.

TEG - I'm going to try your suggestion "Use your Tiger Disc to format as HFS+ (Journaling Off), then restart with the Jaguar disc"

MrT8064 - I really hope that Tiger didn't re-write the BIOS I would hate to have to buy a Copy of tiger just to sell the Powerbook.

I originally bought the Powerbook for my Wife and even upgraded it from 256mb to 640mb and installed an Airport card but she just doesn't use it and i could always let her borrow my Macbook if needs be.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks again :)

7. pinchez thread starter macrumors member

I've tried tried this "Use your Tiger Disc to format as HFS+ (Journaling Off), then restart with the Jaguar disc" but still no joy :(

When i put the Jaguar disc in it just crash's, is there anything else i could try?