Can't go back to Mountain Lion?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Babba, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Babba macrumors member

Hey,

I upgraded Mountain Lion to Mavericks 2 weeks ago, now i'm trying to go back to Mountain Lion. (2013 imac) I restart my computer with Cmd + R..Erased my harddrive and clicked to reinstall. But it reinstalled Mavericks back..I mean i think it downloaded again and reinstalled it..I can also see there is another 1gb of recovery partition..How can i go back? Any ideas?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You need to have ML on a thumb drive.

The recovery partition and internet recovery are Mavericks so there's no way to downgrade that way.

3. Babba thread starter macrumors member

Hey, thanks a lot. Do you know how can i download Mountain Lion again? This computer came with mountain lion and it didn't have dvd's with it...Can i download it for free?

4. bleedblue12345 macrumors newbie

Try Command+Option+R

That should bring in internet recovery which will be Mountain Lion (if that's what the unit shipped with)

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think now that he's on Mavericks the only option he'll get is recover to Mavericks

I could be wrong about that, since I haven't needed to recovery my rMBP (knocks on wood).

6. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Try doing this.
    Clone the drive to an external using CCC
    Boot from the external
    Erase the internal drive
    Remake the internal's recovery partition from the external with CCC. You should get options to remake it as Mavericks, ML or L (at least that's what I had). You do this by selecting clone (External to Internal), CCC will then ask you to remake the recovery partition first.
    If it works and you can remake it as Mountain Lion, then disconnect the external and go for internet recovery. It should then download Mountain Lion.

7. ssls6, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013

ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

Nevermind, I just noticed they've taken it from the store. Damn glad I have a several copies.

8. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

You can not download ML from the App Store when ML came with a new Mac.

Post #4 is the way to go : Internet Recovery (Cmd + Opt + r) will (always) reinstall the original OS.

9. Babba thread starter macrumors member

Cmd + Option + R Worked like a charm!!..i kept getting -2006F(weird wifi error) but it works now, thanks a lot!!!!

10. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I still have it available for Download from my Purchase section, so it is not gone.