Babba

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
Hey,

I upgraded Mountain Lion to Mavericks 2 weeks ago, now i'm trying to go back to Mountain Lion. (2013 imac) I restart my computer with Cmd + R..Erased my harddrive and clicked to reinstall. But it reinstalled Mavericks back..I mean i think it downloaded again and reinstalled it..I can also see there is another 1gb of recovery partition..How can i go back? Any ideas?

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
You need to have ML on a thumb drive.

The recovery partition and internet recovery are Mavericks so there's no way to downgrade that way.

Babba

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
Hey, thanks a lot. Do you know how can i download Mountain Lion again? This computer came with mountain lion and it didn't have dvd's with it...Can i download it for free?

You need to have ML on a thumb drive.

The recovery partition and internet recovery are Mavericks so there's no way to downgrade that way.

bleedblue12345

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2013
Try Command+Option+R

That should bring in internet recovery which will be Mountain Lion (if that's what the unit shipped with)

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Try Command+Option+R

That should bring in internet recovery which will be Mountain Lion (if that's what the unit shipped with)

I think now that he's on Mavericks the only option he'll get is recover to Mavericks

I could be wrong about that, since I haven't needed to recovery my rMBP (knocks on wood).

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Hey,

I upgraded Mountain Lion to Mavericks 2 weeks ago, now i'm trying to go back to Mountain Lion. (2013 imac) I restart my computer with Cmd + R..Erased my harddrive and clicked to reinstall. But it reinstalled Mavericks back..I mean i think it downloaded again and reinstalled it..I can also see there is another 1gb of recovery partition..How can i go back? Any ideas?

Try doing this.
Clone the drive to an external using CCC
Boot from the external
Erase the internal drive
Remake the internal's recovery partition from the external with CCC. You should get options to remake it as Mavericks, ML or L (at least that's what I had). You do this by selecting clone (External to Internal), CCC will then ask you to remake the recovery partition first.
If it works and you can remake it as Mountain Lion, then disconnect the external and go for internet recovery. It should then download Mountain Lion.

ssls6

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
Hey,

Nevermind, I just noticed they've taken it from the store. Damn glad I have a several copies.

Last edited:

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
You can not download ML from the App Store when ML came with a new Mac.

Post #4 is the way to go : Internet Recovery (Cmd + Opt + r) will (always) reinstall the original OS.

Babba

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
Cmd + Option + R Worked like a charm!!..i kept getting -2006F(weird wifi error) but it works now, thanks a lot!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.