Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
The poor section of Connecticut
Ok, my technological know-how is non-existent, so please bare with me. I own a Powerbook G4 (12" 1.5 ghz) as well as an HP PC Pentium 4 (2 ghz). I have DSL internet service, using a Speedstream modem. I have the modem connected to a Belkin switch which runs a line to the PC and another line to an Airport Express (which transmits to the Powerbook). A few days ago I could not get onto the internet with the Powerbook. To this day I still can't get on the internet using the Airport Express, but I can using the ethernet connection. However, I cannot connect the PC and the Powerbook to the internet at the same time. I never had this type of a problem before. As long as I disconnect the Powerbook from the internet I can access it with the PC and vice-versa. I do not want this scenario. I need to have access to the internet with both computers at the same time. I would like to get this resolved soon, for I am expecting a new iMac any day now, and my internet provider (soon to be ex provider if they keep up their crappy customer service) has been of no help whatsoever. Can anyone shed some light as to what is going on here and what I could do to fix the problem? Thank you in advance.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Unless you have DHCP on your modem you're only going to be able to have on IP to give over the switch from the modem.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Ok, my technological know-how is non-existent, so please bare with me. I own a Powerbook G4 (12" 1.5 ghz) as well as an HP PC Pentium 4 (2 ghz). I have DSL internet service, using a Speedstream modem. I have the modem connected to a Belkin switch which runs a line to the PC and another line to an Airport Express (which transmits to the Powerbook). A few days ago I could not get onto the internet with the Powerbook. To this day I still can't get on the internet using the Airport Express, but I can using the ethernet connection. However, I cannot connect the PC and the Powerbook to the internet at the same time. I never had this type of a problem before. As long as I disconnect the Powerbook from the internet I can access it with the PC and vice-versa. I do not want this scenario. I need to have access to the internet with both computers at the same time. I would like to get this resolved soon, for I am expecting a new iMac any day now, and my internet provider (soon to be ex provider if they keep up their crappy customer service) has been of no help whatsoever. Can anyone shed some light as to what is going on here and what I could do to fix the problem? Thank you in advance.

So to make sure, your setup looks a little like this:

Code:
+-------------+
|Belkin Switch|
+-+-------+---+
  |        \   \
+-+-------+ |   \
|DSL Modem| |    \
+---------+ |     | 
+-----------+---+ +--+
|AirPort Express| |PC|
+---------------+ +--+

i.e. You have a "Switch", not a "Router"? And all three devices are plugged into any random port on it?

If so, then the problem is that your internet provider is only giving you one public internet address. The DSL Modem is handing it out to the first device to connect to it. Either the AirPort Express (which is a router, although it only does wireless,) or the PC.

The solution is either to get an AirPort Extreme base station (or any "router" with a built in Ethernet switch,) which is a router that can serve both wireless and wired computers at the same time, or get a wireless card for your PC, and ditch the switch. (i.e. plug the DSL modem directly into the AirPort Express.)

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
The poor section of Connecticut
Hmm...I was thinking of getting a wireless card for the PC. It seems to be the cheapest solution. I just wasn't quite sure if it would work with the Airport Express. One guy I talked to said he had no luck with it but he is even more useless at this type of stuff than I am, believe it or not. I think that is the route I'll take. Thank you both very much for your help! It is much appreciated! :)

YanMasaryk

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2007
You can never be 100% sure with wireless cards but in my experience I've been able to connect several PCs, deskotps and laptops to an airport extremem wirelessly.

BoughtAAPL@4.00

macrumors member
May 14, 2007
Cloning the MAC address of one of the systems will probably work. If memory serves, you can do it on the Belkin switch, but if not, Airport Express should have an option for this as well (never used one, sorry).

MAC address is not to be confused with your Mac's IP address. MAC stands for Media Access Control.

To find your MAC on a Mac you look under System Preferences --> Network --> Ethernet; it's a series of six 2-digit hexadecimal numbers.

To find your MAC on a PC...well, I don't do PC's but lots of others do:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Mac+address+PC

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Hmm...I was thinking of getting a wireless card for the PC. It seems to be the cheapest solution. I just wasn't quite sure if it would work with the Airport Express. One guy I talked to said he had no luck with it but he is even more useless at this type of stuff than I am, believe it or not. I think that is the route I'll take. Thank you both very much for your help! It is much appreciated! :)
802.11 is an industry standard and not some Windows Vs. Mac magic.

I've had countless numbers of hardware work on my Belkin router and Airport Express without a hitch.

brbubba

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
802.11 is an industry standard and not some Windows Vs. Mac magic.

I've had countless numbers of hardware work on my Belkin router and Airport Express without a hitch.

Maybe he was referring to 802.11n which, since its not an official standard, may have problems interoperating with other vendors' "n" hardware. At the very least it should still work at pre-n speeds, but who wants that when you paid all that money for an "n" router.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.