Can't hear iPhone 6S Plus vibrate

FooArk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
Did they change the vibration because I cannot hear a thig. Even when it is flat on my desk.

Did I get a defective phone?

Cloud Unique

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2015
Did they change the vibration because I cannot hear a thig. Even when it is flat on my desk.

Hello, Noticed this on my iPhone 6s vibration feels very weak. Compared to my old iPhone 6.
I think it's definitely the aluminium 7000

Comment

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007

Vibration is different, the old massager was replaced with the Taptic Engine.

The old vibrate was feel+sound, the new is more just feel.

Comment

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Just setting up my new 6s. As I was READING the title, my phone vibrating..

OOOO AAAA OOOOO AAAAA

Weird.

Comment

PedCrossing

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2012
The Loop
The quietness is what taptic engine brings, I don't think the vibration is weak and it doesn't bother or annoy others.

Comment

FooArk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
so how are we supposed to know when we got a text with the phone in our pocket :(

Comment

mastercheif91

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
The whole point of vibrate is that you're not supposed to hear it! They really screwed the pooch with the 6 vibrator. It was louder than a truck on a construction road! The taptic engine finally brings us back to 4s levels of refinement.

Reactions: nathanalf
Comment

freeskier93

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
The whole point of vibrate is that you're not supposed to hear it! They really screwed the pooch with the 6 vibrator. It was louder than a truck on a construction road! The taptic engine finally brings us back to 4s levels of refinement.
Exactly, the jackhammer of a vibrator used on the 6/6+ was my biggest annoyance. If I put my phone on silent I expect it to be virtually inaudible and not produce a miniature earthquake every time I get a text.

Reactions: nathanalf
Comment

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Exactly, the jackhammer of a vibrator used on the 6/6+ was my biggest annoyance. If I put my phone on silent I expect it to be virtually inaudible and not produce a miniature earthquake every time I get a text.
Haha exactly. The new vibration is awesome.

Comment

Cergman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2013
my tesla
Haha exactly. The new vibration is awesome.
I love it. The vibrator was also one of my biggest issues with the 6 and I'm very happy that's been remedied. Ever since the Taptic Engine was added to the Apple Watch, I've been patiently waiting for it to replace the terrible vibrator in the iPhone.

Comment

Djentleman

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
UK
The vibration on my 6 Plus was annoying as hell. I had to start switching it to general instead of using silent like I have for years. I was in the library being messaged and my Plus was on "silent", yet I still got told off by a guy for being a disturbance! So the taptic engine is a welcomed change.

Comment

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Settings -> Sounds -> Text Tone -> Vibration
Great point by BD22...

You can change the vibration pattern and customize it to your liking... scroll up in the Text Tone window.

Or you can add a custom ringtone that consists of a single high-pitched "beep", like this: http://www.soundjay.com/button/sounds/beep-07.mp3

It's unobtrusive, yet you'll acclimate to the sound easily. This is what I've done, but you have to find a short tone that works for you. YMMV

Comment

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
Great point by BD22...

You can change the vibration pattern and customize it to your liking... scroll up in the Text Tone window.

Or you can add a custom ringtone that consists of a single high-pitched "beep", like this: http://www.soundjay.com/button/sounds/beep-07.mp3

It's unobtrusive, yet you'll acclimate to the sound easily. This is what I've done, but you have to find a short tone that works for you. YMMV
That link was a perfect example of how 3D Touch can come in handy.

Comment

BlueDragon22

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2015
Cleveland, OH
Great point by BD22...

Mine seems louder now that I changed it to staccato...or I could be imagining things. I also have a case on it, but it isn't as deep as my iPhone 5's vibrate was. I never owned/heard a 6's vibrate, so I can't compare that

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.