Can't hear map directions while charging via USB in car

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Schtibbie, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Schtibbie macrumors 6502

I am using a rental car which is a Chrysler Pacifica. Has two USB ports. All I want to do is charge my phone while I drive and continue to use Siri for navigation. This very simple thing seems to be a usability nightmare. It seems like it kind of works as long as I'm willing to listen to music while I do now but if I pause my music no sound comes out of the car or the phone. Including navigation. I think it's stupid that I have to actually listen to music in order to hear navigation. And I don't even particularly need the audio to go to the car sound system. Is there a way to tell the phone to just charge and not attempt to send all of its audio out to a car head unit that might be ignoring it? And why in the year 2016 is this so difficult to get working for such a simple task?

And yes I'm aware of the fact that I could go buy one of those charger plugs to plug into the round 12 V outlet while I'm on vacation. But that's stupid. There are two USB ports in this car and I should be able to charge my phone.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Once your phones plugged in and nav has started slide up from the bottom to see control centre. The car should be displayed as the audio option. Tap that and change it to iPhone.

3. Schtibbie thread starter macrumors 6502

Well that didn't quite work. It took several attempts to get control center up instead of the bottom nav menu (which ALSO has some audio options but not related to which device plays the audio!). Finally nudged control center up and it already said iPhone (car wasn't even option!) . Now, I get no voice nav, only a loud BING BONG!!! Every time there's a turn. Bing bong? How am I supposed to understand a bing bong sound?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yeah, the bing bong wont help much.
    What navigation app are you using?
    Maybe its an issue with that specific app not giving you the options mentioned above.

5. Schtibbie thread starter macrumors 6502

Using Apple Maps! Seriously I have no idea why it replaced voice directions with BING BONG sound effects.

6. steveh552 macrumors regular

No clue. I use my iPhone for navigation all the time through USB in my 2016 Civic. I usually am not playing music and just hit the pause button and it comes through the USB/Stereo just fine, maybe its something in the Chrysler.

Have you tried pairing it through Bluetooth and having it come through that while charging?

7. Gav2k, Dec 27, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016

Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Look in the menu for maps and turn voice assistance back on. That will stop the bing bong. Lol
    --- Post Merged, Dec 27, 2016 ---
    Bing bong is left and bong bing is right or the other way round. Lol

It's good if your In a car without a stereo connection. You can hear the instruction

8. Jordan12345 macrumors newbie

Thank you! This was so simple but I couldn’t figure it out.