can't hear unless on speaker

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Raidersmojo, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Raidersmojo macrumors regular

I am having a couple problems with my iphone recently which is in terrific condition

when I answer a call, I can't hear all of a sudden. sometimes I can put it on speaker then switch back to normal and can hear or sometimes the ear piece will work and other times it will not (like the last call I made) is there anyway to fix this? is my earpiece about to break?

help if you can

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

have you tried plugging and unplugging headphones from the jack?? ... i don't know why but this tends to fix a lot of speaker issues...

3. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

The reason is that the cutoff switch that turns off the external sounds when the headphone is plugged in occasionally sticks. Inserting and removing a headphone jack a few times unsticks it.

4. Raidersmojo thread starter macrumors regular

it doesn't seem to unjam...would restoring it do anything?

5. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

Try plugging in the headphones, play some music, then pause it and remove the headphones, you may need to do that a few times. What usually happens is if you remove the headphones while music is playing it gets confused and thinks the headphones are still there and routes the sound through them.