Can't home share to Apple TV through VPN Router

Discussion in 'macOS' started by laevyboy, Aug 23, 2013.

1. laevyboy macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have an issue where home sharing isn't showing up on my Apple TV. I have my modem going to an Airport Extreme which connects via ethernet to my computer and a VPN Router (Asus RT-AC66u). From my VPN Router I connect to my Apple TV. I am Canadian and use a VPN to access US Netflix (which is far superior to the Canadian version) and HBOGo. The only problem is that my home sharing doesn't show up on the Apple TV which is unfortunate as I have quite a large collection of music that I would like to listen to via the Apple TV. I can forego the Airport Extreme and hook everything up to the VPN Router, but there is a noticeable slowdown and it is far from ideal.

Does anyone have any suggestions or fixes for this problem?

Thanks

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Your running into the "Double NAT" (understand what is Network Address Translation) error.

IMHO any home user should only have the router that is closet to the the ISP modem doing NAT. Any router after that router should have NAT turned off (in Apple routers it is called "Bridged Mode"). That way you can have all your home devices be in the same "subnet" for local sharing, etc.

Check you this to see if that helps and make sure all your Home devices be is the same IP range. This should help with VPN setup.