Can't identify alert sound

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by algatesia, Mar 30, 2008.

1. algatesia macrumors newbie

Yesterday I began hearing a sound about every minute that I assume is some kind of alert or notification that something needs attention but I can't determine what it is. It sounds like a single pick of a guitar string. I recently downloaded an upgrade to microsoft office but can't recall if it began right after that or not. I sure would appreciate any suggestions you may have...I have done the restart etc...but being new to a mac I am at a loss as to what else to look for. Thanks in advance for any help al

2. MadDog31 macrumors 6502a

I think it does that sound when it checks e-mail. I finally figured it out myself the other day...now I just need to figure out how to turn it off.

EDIT: It's the "no mail sound" in the Entourage preferences - notifications. Uncheck that.

3. algatesia thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, it worked

Thanks a lot....it worked....a while back I changed the time to check for email from 10 minutes to 1 and that must have been the beginning...although I just downloaded the updates a few days ago. I really appreciate your help.

4. traddcliff macrumors newbie

bottle alert sound

i am getting the same thing described.
    but its playing the Mac's bottle alert sound, every minute.
    it just started today. i dont have entourage installed. and have NO IDEA whats triggering it.

help please...its driving me nuts.

thanks in advance.