Can't import iCal into Google Calendar; help?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by reubs, Feb 12, 2009.

1. reubs macrumors 68000

I've been trying to import some iCal calendars into Google recently, and I keep getting notices that "Calendar is not available. Please try again in a few minutes." The problem is that I've been trying to do this for the past three nights off and on for a few hours while working on other things.

I've done everything right from the iCal end (File-->Export), so I can't figure out what the problem might be. If anyone could try the same thing or let me know what the issue might be, I would really appreciate it.

2. Latro macrumors member

3. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

Here's the thing. I've got a few iCal calendars that I've put some time into constructing. I want them uploaded into Google so that they can easily sync with my iPod touch. From there I will subscribe to them using Calaboration. I've done this with one calendar already, but I can't figure out why it's shutting me out on two other calendars. Can only the master calendar on Google have a file imported in to it?

4. G©H macrumors newbie

5. shipspeed macrumors newbie

alternative work-around

hi, i had similar problems exporting iCal ics and importing into Google Calendar. the following work-around was successful for me:

1) export ics file from source, e.g. mac ical
    2) download and install mozilla sunbird: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/sunbird/
    3) import ics file into sunbird
    4) export csv file from sunbird (it's *critical* you export in csv format, not ics)
    5) import csv file into soogle Calendar

sunbird does a good job of cleaning up messy ics files. note, however, it does not successfully copy recurring events. hope that helps some folks.