Can't Import Movies Into iMovie

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ncmason, May 10, 2007.

1. ncmason macrumors regular

ncmason

I am trying to connect a Sony Handycam Hi8 camcorder to my Mac using the ADS PYRO A/V Link. iMovie picks up the PYRO A/V Link, but when I have my camcorder on playback mode, the movies don't get imported. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Mason

2. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

You mean you get the 'Camera Attached' message?

You mean nothing happens when you click 'Import'?

3. ncmason thread starter macrumors regular

ncmason

I mean that nothing happens when I click 'Import'.

4. mdcougar macrumors newbie

I'm having a similar problem with my Sony GV-D200 when I try to import old Hi8 tapes. I can control the player with iMovie, but it won't import. iMovie '06 does fine, but no workie with iMovie '08. How did you resolve your issue?

5. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

A Hi8 Handycam is not a digital camcorder, it's analog. iMovie only can import from a digital camcorder. However, you can play back the video 8 tapes recorded on an analog camcorder on a digital camcorder & iMovie will recognize them. I've done it with a Sony digital 8 camcorder.

6. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

He's got his Hi8 hooked up to an ADS PYRO A/V Link, which digitizes analog video. So the computer should be getting a digital signal.
    How do you play Hi8 tapes on a digital camcorder? Aren't Hi8 tapes bigger than DV tapes?

7. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

Yes, Hi8 tapes are bigger than miniDV tapes. Sony has made many digital 8 camcorders that take video 8 tapes. I have two of them.