Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Hi,
I can't import my iPhoto library to Photos. Every time I select the iPhoto library icon to be import to Photos, it doesn't give me the option since it is a grey-out icon.
How can you do this?

Also, I heard some people losing photos in the process. Does anybody confirm this?

Can I import the iPhoto library into Lightroom? I am thinking in switch.
Thanks for any feedback.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Hi,
I can't import my iPhoto library to Photos. Every time I select the iPhoto library icon to be import to Photos, it doesn't give me the option since it is a grey-out icon.
How can you do this?

Also, I heard some people losing photos in the process. Does anybody confirm this?

Can I import the iPhoto library into Lightroom? I am thinking in switch.
Thanks for any feedback.

If you see a grayed-out library in Photos > Choose Library > Other Library... it normally means it's already been migrated. This is the original iPhoto library, which can still be opened in iPhoto. Being grayed-out prevents you from migrating it a second time.

Using Finder, go into your Pictures folder and look for your iPhoto library. Do a Get Info, and check the Kind. If the library has been converted, the Kind will be "Migrated iPhoto Library" and there will be a Photos library of similar size. The "Migrated iPhoto Library" is intended for use with iPhoto, not Photos.

Name & Extensions (also visible in a Get Info) are as follows:

iPhoto Library.photolibrary (an iPhoto library that has not yet been converted/migrated)
iPhoto Library.migratedphotoslibrary (an iPhoto library that has already been converted - there will be a separate Photos Library made from this library)
Photos Library.photoslibrary (a Photos library)

gugy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
If you see a grayed-out library in Photos > Choose Library > Other Library... it normally means it's already been migrated. This is the original iPhoto library, which can still be opened in iPhoto. Being grayed-out prevents you from migrating it a second time.

Using Finder, go into your Pictures folder and look for your iPhoto library. Do a Get Info, and check the Kind. If the library has been converted, the Kind will be "Migrated iPhoto Library" and there will be a Photos library of similar size. The "Migrated iPhoto Library" is intended for use with iPhoto, not Photos.

Name & Extensions (also visible in a Get Info) are as follows:

iPhoto Library.photolibrary (an iPhoto library that has not yet been converted/migrated)
iPhoto Library.migratedphotoslibrary (an iPhoto library that has already been converted - there will be a separate Photos Library made from this library)
Photos Library.photoslibrary (a Photos library)

Thanks for the reply.

I am not seeing when I open Photos the ( Photos > Choose Library > Other Library...) option on the menu or splash window as you start it.

My main iPhoto library is located on a different hard drive inside my MacPro. It is not locate under main User library.
Not sure if that makes any difference.

I did the Get Info and under name and extension I just see: iPhoto Library.

Regards

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Thanks for the reply.

I am not seeing when I open Photos the ( Photos > Choose Library > Other Library...) option on the menu or splash window as you start it.

My main iPhoto library is located on a different hard drive inside my MacPro. It is not locate under main User library.
Not sure if that makes any difference.

I did the Get Info and under name and extension I just see: iPhoto Library.

Regards

Sorry, I got a step ahead of you. That option is in the Choose Library window. If Photos is open, quit it. Then hold the Option key while you open Photos again. This should give you the Choose Library window.

I'm not sure how Photos is handling libraries located on other local drives when you open it for the first time, but when you use the Choose Library window you can open a library located on any local drive. Per Photos Help > Work with Photos > Manage your Photos library > Overview:
If you want, you can create additional libraries and store them in any location on your Mac or on an external storage device. However, keep these things in mind...

gugy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Sorry, I got a step ahead of you. That option is in the Choose Library window. If Photos is open, quit it. Then hold the Option key while you open Photos again. This should give you the Choose Library window.

I'm not sure how Photos is handling libraries located on other local drives when you open it for the first time, but when you use the Choose Library window you can open a library located on any local drive. Per Photos Help > Work with Photos > Manage your Photos library > Overview:

Oh, I see it now. Thanks man, I appreciate your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.