Cant import or play aif. files on new macbook pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by flowdesigner, Aug 16, 2010.

1. flowdesigner macrumors newbie

Hi,

One of the reasons I bought this new MBP i7 2.66 is that I am working for a professional music studio, doing remix and sound design work, and they are using macs, so I thought changing from PC would make things easier.

I have a bunch of aif. files from a project I was working on earlier this year, but my Macbook started complaing when I tried to import the files from my external harddrive.

I then tried to copy it on the harddrive and paste it into the mac documents, and that worked, but when I try to open or play them, nothing happens, or I get an error message saying access denied or something like that.

I have never had any problems with the files on any of my 3 pc laptops running XP and Windows 7.

Is there a way to include a short aif. file , like an 808 sample, in this post so I can check if some of you are able to play it.

Thank you!

2. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I didn't know that PCs used .aif files. I think the reason that you're getting the error message is because the permissions are getting borked with the copying between the PC and Mac. You can attach a .zip file up to 1.14 MB by using the paper clip icon at the top of the compose message window.

3. flowdesigner thread starter macrumors newbie

4. flowdesigner thread starter macrumors newbie

Here is the file

Attached Files:

5. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Okay, I downloaded, unzipped it and the .aif file has zero bytes. I don't imagine that's what you wanted.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That is a bad AIFF file - it has no data at all, so obviously there's nothing to play.

7. flowdesigner thread starter macrumors newbie

The thing is, all the files is ok on the NTFS hard drive, but when I move them from the harddrive to the Mac, they get ****ed.

This is a big problem, and hope there is a solution

8. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

How are you moving them to the MacBook Pro?

9. chown33 macrumors 604

Do the copied files always end up as zero bytes?

You can check this in Finder by control-clicking the copy and choosing Get Info from the contextual menu. Post what it says for Size.

You can repeat the Get Info on the original files and see if the Size is the same, or at least non-zero.

Try making a compressed copy.

Select one or more original files in Finder.
    Control-click the name of the selected file.
    Choose "Compress <something here>" from the contextual menu.
    An "Archive.zip" or "NameOfAiff.zip" should appear on your desktop.
    Do Get Info on the zip file and post its size.

Most aiff files are compressible, so the Archive.zip size can be less than the size of the originals. However, if the archive size is 10X or more smaller, it may be that the archiving experienced the same problem is plain copying.

If each files is less than 4 GB, and you have a USB thumb drive with sufficient capacity, you can use it for transfers.

First, insert it in the Mac, run Disk Utility.app, and Erase it to MS DOS. This will format it as FAT, which is readable and writable by both Mac and Windows.
    Eject the thumb drive, then insert in Windows computer.
    Copy files to it. Eject.
    Reinsert in Mac, copy files off.
    Again, Get Info to confirm sensible sizes will be worthwhile.

Oh, and make sure you're copying the original AIFF files, not a Windows shortcut.