Can't Import to FCE HELP!!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Kikoro, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Kikoro macrumors newbie

First, sorry if this has been posted a million times before but im totally new when it comes to the mac and FCE, and i hope i dont sound like a complete idiot. I am beyond frustrated, heres my problem.
    I cant import anything into FCE! Im using ripped DVDs, not video from a camcorder/camera. I have a program that converts the VOBs (DiVA) but no format ive tried works! ive tried every compression, put in the proper frame rate ect. i cant even use Mpeg StreamClip..it keeps telling me i need the mpeg2 component...which i shouldnt have to download for it to work.
    When i import I keep getting an error telling me it doesnt recognize the file, telling me its unknown. I have no idea what to do, and its probably something really simple. And yes, ive tried reading a FCE book, it doesnt give a lot of information on how to import from the source im using. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. -DH macrumors 65816

Why would you think you shouldn't need the MPEG-2 Playback Component for MPEG Streamclip to work with MPEG-2 files. They state so very clearly on their website: "For MPEG-2 playback and conversion, you need the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component. You can buy it from Apple (www.apple.com/quicktime/mpeg2). If you have either Final Cut Pro or DVD Studio Pro, then the component is already installed and you don't have to buy it; but you may need to download the latest version from Apple. If you bought an older version of the component, you can update it to the latest version (www.apple.com/quicktime/mpeg2/update). Note that the MPEG-2 component is neither required nor useful for MPEG-1 or MPEG-4 files. But it is required for VOB files and transport streams, because they are MPEG-2 files."

As long as you aren't trying to rip copy protected DVDs, MPEG Streamclip is what most editors use for converting DVD footage into an editable format.

You can also use DVDxDV.

-DH