Resolved Can't import video from Sony Handycam TRV25?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Mitovich, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Mitovich, Apr 30, 2015
    Last edited: May 2, 2015

Mitovich macrumors newbie

First timer here, didn't see a recent thread on this topic, thanks in advance for any tips...

I have a current MacBook Air, can't seem to make it recognize an old Sony Handycam that I need to transfer DV tapes from.

I tried a USB to USB cable, no dice. The Handycam also has an "iLink" port, but I don't think MacBooks anymore have a FW port, just Thunderbolt (correct?).

Obviously I could hand this off to a camera store or something for transfer, but I'd prefer to handle myself, get some of these old videos into iMovie. Need to edit some old baby videos into a Mother's Day thing.

Thoughts?

2. xylitol, Apr 30, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2015

xylitol macrumors regular

3. glutenenvy macrumors regular

glutenenvy

This?
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD464ZM/A/apple-thunderbolt-to-firewire-adapter

Test your firewire setup if you have another device to test with.
    Connect the DV camera to your firewire port or firewire thunderbolt adaptor.
    If iMovie doesn't recognize your data, you might try handbrake or ivi to convert it.

USB on an old camera will be slow. Some cameras I've had to use Windows and Windows drivers to get them to be recognized by USB.

4. motrek macrumors 68020

If USB is still supported for PCs, you could just borrow a friend's PC, download the data, and copy it to your Mac. Seems like less trouble than buying appropriate adapters etc.

5. Mitovich thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, everyone!

I got a Belkin 4-pin to 9-pin FW adapter, and the Apple FW to Thunderbolt adapter, problem solved!