Cant increase size of Time Machine partition on external drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Kinkade, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Kinkade macrumors member

I recently noticed my time machine partition was full on my external hard drive, so figured I would increase the size of that partition.

That proved to be very difficult, and as of yet impossible. The way the three partitions appeared in disk utility were my normal partition for storing files on top, a fat-32 beneath it for certain files I access from both OS X and when using windows in boot camp, and finally on the bottom was my backup partition.

Even when first decreasing the size of the first partition I couldn't make the backup one bigger. I thought the fat 32 might be the problem so I deleted that partition, but I still cant make the backup partition bigger.

I am including a screenshot of disk utility. You can see I dragged down "more stuff" to include the unpartitioned space left by the old fat-32 partition, but even when I move it up leaving empty space, I cant make my backup partition more then 200 GB.

If I cant change the backup partition size for any reason is there a way to remove backups for a certain folder that took up most of the space? Its for work and I move 200 MB+ video files in and out of it all the time, but never thought to exclude it until now.

Thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

• disk.jpg
      disk.jpg
      File size:
      190.3 KB
      Views:
  2. MackenzieArbour macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem, does anyone have some insight on how to fix it?