Can't insert DVD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by aaytch, Jun 30, 2011.

1. aaytch macrumors newbie

When I insert a DVD (in good condition) into the iMac (less than a year old) DVD slot, it will not go all the way in and the Mac does not sense that I am trying to insert anything. It feels like it is hitting a spring of some sort that is preventing it from grabbing the disk. There is nothing already in the drive. I have reset the PRAM, rebooted with mouse down, but now I don't know what else to do. I remember something like this happened with my Macbook Pro a few years ago, but can't remember how it got resolved.

2. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

3. aaytch, Jul 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2011

aaytch thread starter macrumors newbie

:( Not too far away, but it's hard to believe that there's not a simple fix here. Unfortunately I'm out of warranty and have no Applecare on this machine. My bad. However, my guess (total guess) is that the optical drive has closed the slot as if it thinks there is something already in it. So under that assumption I would just be looking for something that would reset the drive. One thing that occurs to me is the System Management Controller, but on an iMac with a wireless keyboard I'm not sure how to reset it. I tried shutting down, unplugging, replugging and rebooting... but it didn't help.

4. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Ahh, sorry to hear that, I thought you mentioned it was less than a year old though?

5. DJJAZZYJET macrumors 6502

just a suggestion, pull out the plug on the back, hold the power button and put the plug back in of the back of the imac keep holding the button till the imac turns on. If that is a pram reset then sorry :)

6. protrade macrumors newbie

quick fix

I had the same problem. Here's a good workaround: Go to Applications, Utilities and launch Terminal. Type in:
    drutil tray eject

then hit return. This will force the drive mechanism to eject, which will clear the obstruction.