Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesleary73

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
Need help. I'm trying to install 10.5.1 onto my PowerBook G4. I meet all the hardware requirements but after I choose a language from the installer I get the error message "OS X cannot be installed on this computer". What do I do?

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...the usual questions first - are you using a retail 10.5 disc or one that came with another Mac....checked for any firmware updates that are required....oh yeah!

Turmoil

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2008
Need help. I'm trying to install 10.5.1 onto my PowerBook G4. I meet all the hardware requirements but after I choose a language from the installer I get the error message "OS X cannot be installed on this computer". What do I do?

I'm running 10.5 on my Powerbook G4. I upgraded steadily tho. What disk are you using to install from?

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Duff-Man says...the usual questions first - are you using a retail 10.5 disc or one that came with another Mac....checked for any firmware updates that are required....oh yeah!

I was wondering the same thing. I hate to hold people suspect....BUT... the OP is trying to install 10.5.1 on his Powerbook G4. Firstly, Apple no longer sells that version in the retail stores so the only way he could've acquired it was either using someone else's disc which can't be done since Leopard never shipped on a G4 and in order to use someone else's disc both Macs have to be the exact same model and version.
The only other way is from an illegal torrented download.. And since it's been 2+ hours and the OP hasn't come back I think the torrented idea was used.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.