Can't install Airport Utility 6.0

Discussion in 'macOS' started by patent10021, Feb 3, 2012.

1. patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

Keep getting
    Code:
    The update “AirPort Utility” can’t be installed. An unexpected error occurred.
    Happening on my older MacBook too. Installed 10.7.3, my network is fine and everything. This machine is a new Mac Mini Server. Any ideas? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

The only difference is that on my Macbook, I delayed installing 10.7.3 because it wasn't convenient to download 800 meg and reboot but I allowed Airport Utility to install first. After it did, I ran into trouble upgrading the firmware on my Airport Extreme and Airport Express. The updates reported that they had failed, however upon resetting the devices all was well and they are now at 7.6.1 firmware.

3. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

you saying I need to reset my Airport Extreme and lose all my settings? What does your firmware have to do with the Airport Utility?

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I had the same issue. I'm not sure if I deleted the Airport Utility on my machine first or not, but I downloaded and installed the Airport Utility version 5.5.3. It then correctly updated to 6.0.

5. r0k, Feb 3, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2012

r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Where did I say you would lose all your settings? At no point were any of my settings lost. Not on my AEBS and not on my Airport Express. To lose all my settings would have pissed me off.

What concerned me was that in the new iOS-looing Airport Utility, after the firmware update my AE disappeared and was greyed out and I was asked if I wanted to "forget" it. Duh. Why would I want to do that? I went up 2 flights of stairs and saw it was solid yellow. I unplugged it from the wall, plugged it back in and it appeared to stay yellow. By the time I got back to my Macbook, it had turned green with all it's settings intact (merely to extend the wireless network created by my AEBS).

I then got very brave and decided to upgrade the firmware in my AEBS, knowing that if it went badly I would be off the internet "for a while" and even my VOIP phones would stop working. I'd be down to nothing but my iPhone and At&t's rather weak 3G in my area. I went ahead and did the update and the same thing happened that had taken place with my AE. After the failed update, I picked my AEBS and selected "restart base station". At that point, my AEBS showed grey and I was asked if I wanted to forget it. I trudged over to it to unplug it to force a reset but just before pulling the plug, I decided to glance at the LED and it had already gone green. I went back to my Macbook and sure enough my AEBS was now fully working and all my devices were running 7.6.1 firmware. Not smooth but not as difficult as things might have been had the devices become fully wiped of all my preferences.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

OP: you will not lose any settings by restarting your devices. I think its the order you did it....Did my TC and AE first..(A few day's before Lion update)

7. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

So what should I do? Reset then update again?