Can't install an older version of Photoshop

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by oreocracker, Sep 5, 2013.

1. oreocracker macrumors newbie

I'm on 10.6.8 and can't install photoshop CS3. I've uninstalled and when I try to install, I get: please insert CS4. Doesn't sound right to me.

I called Adobe and they wanted $69 to fix the problem. They looked at my crash reports and said it was my mac. I was afraid to let them touch my mac so I didn't go for it.

Can anyone read crash reports and help me out? I'm not sure which to include, mac or adobe.

2. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

Sounds to me like you have an UpGrade Version of PS. It wont install unless it finds an other version of PS and it's associated files installed on your hard drive.

Lou

3. Bear macrumors G3

It would give a proper error message if it were an upgrade issue. But a CS3 install asking for CS4 is odd.

4. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

If you bought your CS3 license from an authorised seller and still have access to even an e-receipt, Adobe should be able to tell you what is going on.

They were very helpful when I wanted to upgrade my Elements license to CS3 a few years ago because I had used an Authorised Reseller (Amazon in my case) for the original purchase.

They were also very helpful when I wanted to change my license from Windows to OSX.

Dig out your original receipt and contact them again.

5. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

It might be worth creating a new user account to install CS3, I've had issues in the past installing some Adobe products and this fixed it.

6. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Was there a registered copy of CS4 associated w the computer at any point? If so, Adobe DRM knows about it, and is asking for the originally registered software so as to de-register that, and then, and only then, register CS3.
    Somewhere on the intarwebs there's likely a page on how to clear Adobe's registration stuff off your hard drive without reformatting. That'd let you register your new software wiithout checking on the old first. Sadly, I've no idea where that info might be found.

CS DRM can be a real PITA.