Can't install an OS!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mikemodena, Feb 20, 2008.

1. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

Hey everyone.. I haven't been around here in forever but I have an issue.

While attempting to upgrade my friend's Macbook (can't remember if it's the CD or C2D) to Leopard the install crashed in the middle giving what looked like a large Terminal window with a ton of Unix stuff and a fatal error. Tried it again and it appeared to install, but when it reboots it just hangs on the Apple logo for like 10 minutes and then restarts and hangs again.

We then tried to use his Tiger restore disks and the same thing keeps happening where it just hangs on the Apple logo.

I attempted to use Disk Utility to erase the HD and then install, but still no luck. Also tried to hold control when booting to select the HD but it still hangs on the Apple logo.

Thanks!:apple:

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 16GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

you need to hold down the Alt (not control) key when booting and you should then see the option to boot from the install DVD

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The Text you saw was a Kernel Panic. Have you used one of the discs to run disc utility to check the status of the disc? Do you have an external drive you could install to, or another Mac you connect it to in TDM and install that way? Have you checked all the hardware? Memory correctly seated? Have you tried running the Hardware CD that should have come with the computer to do a major test?

Failing all that, perhaps your local Apple Store or Apple Authorized Repair Center could test it.

EG

4. mikemodena thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

That's what I meant.. sorry for the confusion

5. mikemodena thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

Okay I've been out of the mac world forever so bear with me... I did verify the disc and it said it was OK. I do have both an external drive and another mac to do the install, but I'm not sure how. I haven't dissassembled anything as far as hardware goes, and the RAM has never been touched.

Hardware disc..... I'm not sure I'm going to look now

Edit: All that came with it was Install Disc 1 & 2

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Do another format, but do a low-level format. A regular format just erases the file table, therefor removing the entries about your files, but they are still there. Doing a low-level format will zero out all the data and prevent possible confusion. This will take a lot of time. Do this before doing an external or TDM install.

TEG