Can't install anything...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bagleyb, Sep 20, 2007.

1. bagleyb macrumors member

I'm having a problem where I can't install anything. Last week, I downloaded software for my Harmony 880 remote that had an install package. When I went to install it, I was asked which drive, and then given the button in the lower right to install. I selected install, and the button was just greyed out after that.

I didn't think much about it at the time. I figured it was just a corrupted download, and I'd re-download later.

However, last night I was prompted with the iTunes update and it did the same thing. It shows in the software update, and I hit install at the lower right. The button goes grey once selected, and the install never launches. I tried a few other apps with install packages and the same thing happens.

I've repaired the permissions and a ran some of the other typical solutions usually given here, but I'm still not able to install anything.

Anyone ever seen this before?

2. wngraham macrumors regular

I had the same problem a year or so ago. Turns out I'd somehow renamed my Home folder. Check that first....

3. bagleyb thread starter macrumors member

Home folder wasn't renamed. I'm at a loss here.

4. aristobrat macrumors G5

Can you see the Installer program in Applications > Utilities? I had a friend who accidentally wiped out his whole Utilities folder.

5. bagleyb thread starter macrumors member

Yes, the installer application is there. In fact, Installer launches when I hit the install button. It's almost like the box where you have to accept the license agreement is being surpressed.