Can't Install Bootcamp on Windows 7 x64

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by gtr053, Oct 18, 2010.

1. gtr053 macrumors member

I set up a 50 GB partition on my MBP for Windows 7 x64. I am fairly sure that I used the Bootcamp Setup Assistant (or whatever it's called) to make this partition. I went through the whole installation and I have successfully installed Windows. In fact, I am using Windows right now. When I insert my Mac OS X Installation disk, I don't get the option to install Bootcamp or any of the drivers. Right now, I don't have the installation disk and I can't remember so I can't say what comes up. I have Googled this and used the search feature on this forum. However, "Can't Install Bootcamp on Windows" is pretty generic in the eyes of search engines. Does anybody know why I don't have the option to install the drivers? I miss my keyboard, mouse, and monitor functionality. :confused:

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Which Mac? Is it one of the ones officially supported for W7 64 bit?

Open the Mac OS X install DVD in Explorer and look for a file called BootCamp64.msi. Install that manually. (Search for BootCamp64.msi if you need better search terms).

B

3. gtr053 thread starter macrumors member

I am sure it is supported. I have installed Windows with Bootcamp on this MBP before. However, I had to delete the partition to (relatively) safely fix the MBR after Ubuntu crapped all over it. I was triple booting with rEFIt but Ubuntu wasn't playing fair with Windows. But this time, I can't seem to get it to work. But I will try out your suggestion once I get back home.

4. gtr053 thread starter macrumors member

Okay, so I successfully installed Bootcamp. One problem: the drivers aren't doing a lick of good. I installed the Bootcamp drivers: no Aero and no multi-touch and right-clicking trackpad. However, the keyboard's special functions and the audio driver now work. Hmm.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Can you please tell us which Mac you are using. You also didn't mention which version of OS X and Boot Camp you are using. W7 is only officially supported under Snow Leopard/Boot Camp 3.x and you might get the kind of behavior you are seeing if you install Boot Camp 2.x Vista drivers from Leopard.

You probably need to update your Windows Experience Index to turn on Aero, but the trackpad is odd.

Run the Apple Software Update program that should have been installed with Boot Camp to get the latest Apple drivers and then report back.

B

6. gtr053 thread starter macrumors member

I didn't post the version of OS X because I figured it is irrelevant. I have a MacBookPro7,1 with Boot Camp 3.1 installed. I did the Apple Software Update and it updated Boot Camp for me and now I've got the trackpad working. One down, one to go. Aero is still a no-go. When I run the Aero troubleshooter, this is what I get.

The current video card may support Aero with a driver that is compliant with the Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM). Contact the manufacturer of your computer or video card for a WDDM-compatible driver.

7. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Go to nvidia.com or ati.com and download the proper drivers + install.

8. gtr053 thread starter macrumors member

Eh, I tried that a few times but for some reason it worked this time (sorta). The installation came up with two errors but I restarted the computer anyways and shebam! It is finally working. Thanks for the support!