Can't Install Downloaded Software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by phrenology1, Apr 19, 2009.

1. phrenology1 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone! well, I hope that someone has the answer to this. I have a ibook clamshell running 10.3.9 panther. I can download files dmg then it mounts, cleans up and is on my desktop. but, when I go to install it does not open. says no application and then choose application. I think I am missing quicktime and adobe reader. but, I can't download and open these applications to solve problem. does anyone have a suggestion? thank you. sacha

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Which application(s) are you trying to install? Adobe Reader and QT?

QT is already installed as part of the OS (it somehow even relies on it) and PDFs can be opened with Preview.

Could you take a screen shot with "Cmd + Shift + 3" (select the area to shoot your self and save a picture.png on the desktop) of the problem?

Typically a DMG mounts after downloading and is shown on the desktop as you describe. The content then can be dragged (copied) to wherever you want or executed.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

Are you sure that what you downloaded is compatible with panther?

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It sounds like you are not installing the software on your hard drive:
    • Double-click on the .dmg file. If nothing happens, then press [cmd]+ [ i ]. Select Open with: DiskImageMounter popup menu item.
    • After the .dmg file appears as a volume mounted on your Desktop, there are two possibilities. a) The volume may hold an application which can be installed by simply dragging it to your Applications folder or to wherever you see fit. b) The volume may hold an installer which will install the application and its support files in an appropriate location.
    FWIW, QuickTime is an integral part of MacOS X. Although I recommend Adobe Reader, it is not necessary to do so. PDF is an integral part of MacOS X. It can be viewed by any QuickTime-compatible application. The most popular of these is Preview.

If you have not yet solved your problem, then it would be helpful for you to state which .dmg files give you trouble.

5. phrenology1 thread starter macrumors newbie

all dmg files will not open. I do not even see a window saying install.

I also make sure that all the files that I download is 10.3.9 panther. it's the highest panther I can run on this mac. also there is a agreement that comes with all the downloads and I can only view it in text edit.

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Can you be a bit more specific about what you're doing? I realize you say all dmgs, but can you give one as an example and tell us your entire process, each file clicked on and such? It'll help us diagnose the problem and get you on your way.

7. aamyers macrumors newbie

can't get "installed" apps to run

I just switched from pc to mac, and I love my new macbook. I'm running 10.5.6 and I am having problems installing a few apps. Everytime I start the install for Limewire, Skype, and IeatBrainz, the app hangs in the doc and stops responding. There is an icon in my finder for skype and ieatbrainz, but I haven't been able to get the programs running. I'm not sure if it is an install problem or a problem with 10.5.6 or one of my settings that I need to change?

8. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

We'll need to know some error messages during the startup. These can be found using Console, which is located in /Applications/Utilities/Console. Have this started up then try to open one of the programs. Some stuff will likely start showing up during this process. Copy and paste what appears into a post. If it's long use the Code button for the post (has the # on the button), which will make it more readable.

Hopefully any error messages that appear will help us help you sort this out.

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

ieatbrainz for over a year now, has been discontinued and won't work.
    The only way to obtain it is to pirate it. Pirated software is not guaranteed to work.

Download skype from skype.com.

10. aamyers macrumors newbie

error messages.. i think?

I am so embarassed! I love my new mac so much that I haven't turned it off since I've gotten it. I kept putting it to sleep but never restarting. After I restarted my computer everything seems to be in working order. Thanks so much for giving me a great first impression of the macrumors forum! I appreciated the fast responses.