Can't install iMovie '06 on new iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wilfried, Apr 18, 2008.

1. wilfried macrumors member

I have an Alu iMac "24 running Leopard and iLife '08 installed via the included upgrade disk (I believe '08 also came preinstalled along with Tiger). I wanted to try iMovie '06, and found the download at Apple.

The download won't let me install, giving a message to the effect of, "Please install iLife '08 before installing '06."

Well, I do have a legitimate, legal copy of iLife '08 installed. The Apple site is not terribly explicit, but it does say, "iMovie HD 6, previously distributed with iLife ’06, is available for download for those who have purchased and installed iLife ’08."

Do they really expect me to have a retail version of '08 installed before they'll let me use '06? If that's the case, it seems like a mighty fine distinction to me, seeing as I did purchase iLife, though as part of the price of the computer. Even though it came with a new computer, I may have the same reasons for being unhappy with '08 as those who went out and bought the upgrade. '06 users at least have the option not to upgrade, but it appears I'm stuck with '08, though I had no real choice in the matter.

So, are they preventing me from running it on purpose, or is there some other problem? Is there a way I can get '06 without buying retail '08?

2. craig1410 macrumors 6502a

craig1410

Hi,
    Did you find a fix for this issue since I am having the same problem?

Thanks,
    Craig.

3. wilfried thread starter macrumors member

Yup, I fixed it. I discovered that my iMovie 08 install was corrupted and wouldn't run. I reinstalled it, and all was good.