Can't install iphone software 4.0.1 for iphone 3gs

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by budge9, Jul 17, 2010.

1. budge9 macrumors member

Every time I go on itunes to put the new 4.0 software on my iphone 3gs and press 'update' it says that my itunes is the most recent version and doesn't install the new software.

Has anybody also had this problem or know how to fix it?

A friend recommended that I click 'restore' to try and solve this problem but won't that delete everything eg. photos and contacts from my phone??

Many thanks in advance for any help.

2. MSmith1915 macrumors newbie

Iphone update

If you are selecting Itunes check for updates, that is the wrong way to check for updates on your Iphone. After you have connected your Iphone to your computer, select your Iphone on the left panel. When you see your Iphone appear, make sure you are in Summary and then click on check for updates.

3. CSMchris376 macrumors regular

Check iTunes version

If you are getting this message when you click on the button to update software on the phone, then you do not have the latest version of iTunes. You need to have version 9.2 to be able to update to iOS4 or iOS4.0.1.

I've not experienced it, but I have read a number of posts here and at Apple Discussions that this message is generated from that. After you update iTunes, it should allow you to update the iPhone software.

4. GrnFairy macrumors newbie

Yes, Im having this same problem. Smith, I did not click it under the check itunes update. When i went under the iphone in icon itunes, it told me (above the restore option) that there was an update available to 4.0.1 - but when you click it, Chris, it says itunes is up to date with its latest version. Also, when you check the itunes update to see if there is an update for itunes itself, the message appears that itunes it up to date with its current version., there is no way to update it to a new version.

So, basically, when you are clicking the update for iphone under the iphone icon, it is checking for an update for itunes. but since itunes it up to date, nothing happens.

How can we troubleshoot this?:confused: