Can't install Leopard on a tiger WhiteBook- says newer version already present?????

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mikes70mustang, Feb 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

My friends got a white Macbook with 80gb HD, 1gb ram, 2.0 intel, runs tiger, 38GB free space on hard drive. So the problem is that i tried to install leopard on the computer, i followed the instructions for how to install, but it wont install, it says cannot install on this computer. This computer is fully capable of using leopard, plenty of HD space. And it the reason it gives for not installing is: Newer version of this software/program, already exists. I saved her photos on a DVD b/c thats all shes worried about keeping saved. So why wont this work and how can i fix it?? Thanks for any help, i tried finding answers already but couldnt find what i need.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

How are you installing Leopard? What are you using?

3. mikes70mustang thread starter macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

O sorry, im using the install discs that came with my computer.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Then it will not work. Period. The install discs are machine specific.

Buy a retail Leopard DVD. Stop being cheap.

5. mikes70mustang thread starter macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Well shes has no money, and im not about to buy leopard install discs when snow leopard is so close, and i dont exactly have money to burn

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Looks like she'll wait for SL.

7. mikes70mustang thread starter macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Lol, nope, just have to talk to my friend with a whitebook that has leopard. Thanks for the help though.

8. macintosh.apple macrumors 6502

9. mikes70mustang thread starter macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Not my computer, not my install discs:p Im sure they prob more worried about torrents of snow leopard when it comes out. or pystar lol

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

And eat your children.

Oh, and disks from my MacBook worked on a friend's MacBook even though hers was an older model (hers was a 1.83 GHz Core Duo, mine is a 2 GHz Core 2 Duo). I don't think the machines need to have identical specs, or be built in the same year.

11. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Gotta love the no problem, I'll just find another way to pirate software people.

Even if Apple never finds out, or anyone else, karma will get you. Good luck.

12. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

So your friend needs major RAM/HDD upgrades to the computer but is in a rush for Leopard? A 320GB 5400 RPM HDD and 4GB of RAM is cheaper than Leopard. I understand you say there is enough space now, but that isn't likely going to be the case soon if iPhoto is your friend's favorite pastime. Since you illegally shared Leopard your friend should put the money to good use.

13. mikes70mustang thread starter macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

So im assuming that the people that are getting their panties in a wad about sharing leopard disks: never have used limewire, torrents, burned ur friends cds onto your itunes? Or much more illegal things other than software "pirating," Let us look at ourselves first before pointing fingers shall we?

14. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If accusing others of the same or worse helps you sleep at night, don't let us stop you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.