Can't Install Leopard on iMac G5 iSight

Discussion in 'macOS' started by miker1961, Dec 30, 2009.

1. miker1961 macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a used G5 iMac 1.9GHz w/ iSight for my daughter. It has Tiger installed on it however it is missing Photo Booth and the only way to get it back on is from the system disk I believe.

The computer did not come with the OS X Installation disk but I have a version of Leopard that I purchased so I tried installing this, but it won't allow me.

When I put in the disk it keeps automatically ejecting it. I've tried inserting and restarting with the disk in the drive and while it doesn't eject it, the disk is never read from the drive.

I was able to use this Leopard disk to install this OS on my old G4 PowerBook laptop with no issue at all.

Any insight and/or help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Mike

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Does the machine read any other discs without issue?

3. miker1961 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. I tried reading a CD and DVD that I had burned with photos and both of these read fine.

4. California macrumors 68040

California

You've got either a bad disk or a bad optical drive. Same thing happened to me with a Tiger disc. The disc has a slight imperfection and the drive was also getting old.

5. miker1961 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just so you know, the disk worked fine on my PowerBook G4 laptop. So I would think the disk is fine. If this is the case and the drive on the iMac is bad, why would it be able to read other DVDs and CDs?

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

and I presume the leopard disk you're trying to install is a black retail disk?

7. miker1961 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it is. It was purchased directly from Apple.

8. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Just burn a new copy of the Leopard install disc to use in the iMac.

9. miker1961 thread starter macrumors newbie

Any ideas here? Could it be a RAM issue. Currently I only have 512MB installed on this machine.

10. miker1961 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK so here is a stupid question. How do I burn a copy of my Leopard OS to another DVD?

11. fishmoose macrumors 68000

You could do a copy of the disc on another computer then burn the .dmg file with disk utility. To dump the disc I think you can do that with Toast, but I'm not sure.

12. miker1961 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. One more question. Since the entire contents of Leopard is over 7Gigs, how do I burn this to one disk or do I need to burn this to two disks? If I need to burn it to more than one how do I split this up?

13. fishmoose macrumors 68000

You'll need a dual layer disc. I think you can do a remote install trough the network to, reading the disc on one computer but installing on the other computer.

14. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

get an 8 gb usb flash drive, plug it in to a mac that accepts the leopard disk, and insert the leopard disk. open up disk utility, click on the usb flash drive, (not the partition), now go to to the partition tab, partition it as 1 partition, and format it as mac os extended (journaled). no go to the options button, and select guid partition, (the top one). click apply or partition or whatever it says, and hit yes. now after thats done go to the restore tab, and drag the leopard disk, (from disk utility) over to SOURCE. drag the usb flash drive partition over to DESTINATION. be careful not to mess this up, otherwise u could be without a leopard disc. now plug that usb flash drive into ur imac g5, (after its done restoring leopard onto it), restart the imac, hold down option when u hear the chime. now select mac os x install cd. and it should boot there because i have never heard of a computer popping out a usb flash drive. good luck!