Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bradley1023

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2013
Hello all

I was given an old imac G5 and it still had the previous owners old files on it and tiger installed. So i booted it up with a Leopard CD and successfully wiped the hard drive without any trouble. But have had no luck trying to install the OS, at any random time it will just freeze up entirely and the fans will kick in high speed. looking in the log as it downloads i have noticed it creates many thousands of the same error

"unable to find db handle 2" its also said "unable to find db handle 1" many times. I am more then happy to supply more information just not sure what you will need, thanks in advance

Bradley

bradley1023

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2013
The DVD is retail and i know it works, as i have used it to reinstall the OS on my other G5 in the last couple of months.

bradley1023

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2013
Thats a plausible idea and it will probably work but the other G5 is my day to day computer that i use, the very one i am writing this on :). So i am not sure i am ready to put a Hard drive in it that could possibly be troublesome in my good Mac until i get some more answers, especially when i have read some other similar problems where the hard drive was the culprit.

I have since found out that it does not only freeze while attempting to install the OS, sometimes it will freeze and put the fans into hyper-speed before its even made the boot up chime. It also froze and fans sped up while trying to remove the partially installed OS from the Hard Drive. I have the impression this is some sought of safety mechanism where it turns the fans up so it doesn't overheat, but where could the problem lie?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.