Can't Install Leopard OSX, few other issues...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Carcharios, May 1, 2009.

1. Carcharios macrumors newbie

By no means a mac expert here; I have a hand-me-down 12'' G4 Powerbook and every time I've tried to install Leopard OSX, the powerbook has spit out the disk. Is it not possible for my G4 to read dual layered disks?

Also, my keyboard is missing a shift key. Can I replace this key (is there a place where I can purchase just this key) or must I replace the entire keyboard - and if so, where could I get the best deal on this item?

Last problem is that my touch pad is not functioning properly. It acts erradic; at times it works ok but at other times, it either doesn't coordinate with the movement of my fingers or it overreacts. Does this mean I probably have to replace the entire cover or is there a way to change the sensitivity of the pad using the built-in software?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Carcharios

2. aquajet macrumors 68020

Are you using a retail Leopard disk, or a restore disk from another Mac? Only a retail Leopard disk will work with a PowerBook.

Go to a genius bar at an apple store to get a new key cap. They often replace those free of charge, even for machines out of warranty.

As for the touchpad, I would ensure that the trackpad is clean and that your fingers are clean and dry as well.

3. Carcharios thread starter macrumors newbie

The disk I have is not retail. It looks like I'm going to have to go that route though. Thanks for the info on replacing the key. As for the touch pad, do you know if you can manually calibrate the sensitivity of the touch-pad or does it sound like more of a defective item issue to you? Like I said, sometimes it's receptive to my fingers and other times, it's all over the place and doesn't coordinate correctly with my hand movements. What I've found is that if I tap hard about 3 or four times on the pad, it will work properly for a short spell but it always reverts to not working correctly.

Also, one more major issue. The friend of mine who gave me his old G4 no longer remembers his password so I've been unable to run any updates. Is there a way to restore the username and password or must I re-upload a new OSX in order to create my own password? I no longer have the OSX install disks which the powerbook came with (assuming they come with this) so I'm not sure how I could even do this if I have to go this route.

Carcharios

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Your computer ejecting the disc has nothing to do with the install disc not being for that computer, if it isn't for your computer, it will simply tell you that you are unable to install Mac OS X on this computer. The problem is that the G4 can't read DL DVD's and or the optical drive is faulty. If it's able to read other DVD's then it's probably the format, if not then it's the drive.

5. Carcharios thread starter macrumors newbie

Can the standard 12'' G4 Powerbook read DL DVD's or in general, are they not capable of doing this without some sort of a post manufacturer upgrade? Also, if they can't read them, then how do I install Leopard because I thought you'd need a DL DVD in order to install the OSX? Are the retail Leopard OSX CD's formatted on a DL DVD or do they use another format?

Carcharios

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

No. The first PowerBook G4 to get the SuperDrive capable of reading DL was the 15-inch released approx. around October 19, 2005. Assuming you had the 12-inch of that generation, it did not support it - only the 15-inch did. That would be the reason why the SuperDrive kept ejecting your disc. If you want Leopard on it, you would need an external DVD drive capable of DL or get a Mac that can read DL's and install through Target Disk Mode.

7. Carcharios thread starter macrumors newbie

Does this also mean that I will have to install a new OSX before I can create a new username and password so that I can access the updates?

Carcharios

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

No. If you don't know the password or have forgotten it, you can get an install disc (I don't know if it has to be machine specific or if it can be any one.) and rest the password but you would need to boot off the install disc first which is your problem. There's a chance your SuperDrive isn't working.

9. aquajet macrumors 68020

Any Mac with a DVD drive will read a dual-layer DVD disk. In fact this functionality has always been included in every DVD reader ever made. Dual-layer has always been a part of the DVD specification. The ability to write dual-layer is another story.

10. Carcharios thread starter macrumors newbie

From what I can tell, my powerbook has been out of warranty for 4 to 5 years. I'm not sure how old this would make it, but I wonder if the early Powerbook G4s were capable of reading dual layer DVDs. All I know is that my desktop, which runs an intel, can read the disc and my powerbook spits it out.

Carcharios

11. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Again, no they are not.

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP38

That link provides technical specifications for the last (latest) PowerBook 12-inch revision. You'll notice that the 12-inch did not support DL but the 15 and 17-inch did. That is the reason why your Powerbook's SuperDrive keeps ejecting it, it can't read it.

12. aquajet macrumors 68020

Incorrect. Every Mac that has a DVD drive, whether it be DVD-ROM, single or dual layer DVD burner, has the capability to read commercially produced dual layer DVDs. This includes Leopard disks and nearly every Hollywood DVD you can rent at Blockbuster. If you don't think this is true, then come on over to my place and I'll be happy to show you.

I cannot say what's wrong with the OP's computer, but assuming it is a legit Leopard disk of any sort (retail or machine-specific), it most certainly has nothing to do with the fact that it lacks a dual layer burner.

13. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

You're right. The spec sheet is regarding writing. As for OP, if it keeps spitting it out, then the drive is defective.

14. narsx macrumors member

Ok how about you have a 15" PowerBook but still get the same error, dvd keeps on ejecting by itself? I changed my hard drive and memory, turned it on, and i got 2 boxes, one was a enter sign and the other was a refresh sign. What am I doing wrong?

I have the 15" PowerBook G4 aluminum 1.25ghz

15. goMac macrumors 603

16. narsx macrumors member

I believe I did, but I know I was holding down option and I got that screen, if I dont hold down option, I get the little mac face and computer in the middle of the desktop. Right now my cousin has it, he is going to connect his mac and just install Leopard though the firewire method.