Resolved Can't install Leopard | Powerbook G4 1.33 Al

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by rjcalifornia, Nov 30, 2013.

1. rjcalifornia, Nov 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013

rjcalifornia macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

Hi,

So I just received my Powerbook G4 1.33 with 2 GB of RAM. It came with Panther, I play with it a little bit, and then I just put the Leopard disc inside the powerbook.

However I can't install it. The Installer hangs or tells me "Failed to validate"

I'm doing a clean install, hard drive is healthy and working properly. What could it be?

------------------
    Well, I removed one of the RAM memories, the install went smooth. :D

I put it back and I have my shiny PowerBook G4!!! Dang it! looks so beautiful!!!! And cheap!

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Clean the disk up. A dirty disk can sometimes prevent things from installing. I usually use a microfiber cloth. You want to make sure all the smudges are off the disk. If it's really dirty you can run water over it (it won't damage the disk) and then dry it off with a soft towel (getting all the smudges out).

Try again, but also don't allow the installer to check the disk. Just click Cancel at that part.

3. rjcalifornia thread starter macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

I think you are right. I might do a new personal copy, don't want to scratch the disk.

Well I tried to install again, it says "Could not validate the contents of the BSD Package"

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Does the disk have any deep scratches on it?

I'm assuming that it's because of physical damage to the disk. That's usually the reason for errors of this type.

5. rjcalifornia thread starter macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

Just rechecked, yep it has some scratches. Dang it.

At first I thought it was the RAM, but system profiler says both are ok.

Dang it.... :'(

Any advices?

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well…there are some options I can think of, but none of them are very good.

You could try duplicating the disk. There's no guarantee though that you'd get a good copy. The scratches are preventing a read in that area. A few scratches on a disk are ok as long as they aren't deep, but the deeper one's are problems as they prevent the laser from doing it's job.

If you have Diskwarrior you might be able to try salvaging the disk and reburning. I don't have much hope for that though.

There are some commercial disk cleaners, some of which advertise as working to remove deep scratches. Again, your mileage may vary.

And of course, replacing the disk itself. If you can find a disk cleaner that removes deep scratches that might financially be your best bet.

There's always the chance that the disk was burned wrong, but given that you have said there are scratches present I think we can rule that out.

7. rjcalifornia thread starter macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

It has light scratches, no deep ones. I might use a Windows computer to copy the disk. It is the same disk I used for installing Leopard on my iBook G4.

8. rjcalifornia thread starter macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

Well I tried again, copy seems to be working. Don't know what's going on.

Any help?