Cant Install Leopard WTF?!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by littlefighter2, Apr 26, 2010.

1. littlefighter2 macrumors newbie

I am ready to explode of anger because of this $&*&*

i am trying to install Leopard over a week on a mac book pro i bought (duo 2 core,3gb ram)

When i bought it,the os was 10.6 (Snow Leopard),bougt a DVD but when i am trying to install i keep getting: '' Cannot install on this Machine''

So i searched the forums...,i found out i have to use the ''original OSX install dvd'' so i tried Leopard.

Got the dvd...trying to boot with it (push ALT and choose the DVD) it reads the dvd...then it reboots ? and does the same nothing more (with that awful apple sound)

i am more a windows user,but i thougt apple is a bit easy,but this really beginning to kill me :mad::mad:

2. SimonJ macrumors regular

I'm no expert myself, but I do know that you just can't install older versions of OS X on newer macs. It has something to do with a lack of drivers on those versions of OS X. Why would you want to install Leopard over SL anyway? SL is IMHO better in every respect..

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

You can't install an OS version that predates your Mac.
    Could you tell us why you would want to? I can uderstand in the Windows world downgrading from Vista to XP, but not from SL to Leopard. If you must run Leopard, install on external HD and boot from that drive.

4. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

What version of the MBP did you buy? Was it pre-Snow Leopard?
    What DVD did you buy - is it grey or does it have a picture of a snow leopard on it? If you bought a non-retail DVD, it won't install unless it matches exactly the Mac you have.
    Again, what DVD is this? Did it come with the Mac when you bought it?

Well, it should at least tell you that you can't install on the Mac.

If you're using a retail copy of Snow Leopard or a valid copy of Leopard, there's a problem. Are you near an Apple Store?

5. littlefighter2 thread starter macrumors newbie

it is grey,i bougt it from a friend!,the macbook i got it from something like ebay (in netherlands) the other guy has allot of program's i dont know...so i thought let me do a fresh install...

the Leopard dvd's are backup dvds from a neighbour...but in his mac it just works....i dont get it...is it because they are backup's ? but they still work on his macbook ??

6. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

If you're trying to install OS X on your Mac with the grey discs it won't work unless you're using the ones for your specific model. I would recommend purchasing the $30 Snow Leopard upgrade. If it still gives you the error, try getting the grey discs specific to your model by calling Apple.

7. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

The retail copies will work on any Mac that supports Snow Leopard (ie any Intel Mac) but the grey ones that come with new Macs are locked to the particular model. For instance, I'm on an Aug 09 MBP now but I'm getting an i7 MBP soon, and the i7's DVD won't work on this Mac.

Just splash out the (in NL) €29 on the retail copy of Snow Leopard and you should be ok.

8. littlefighter2 thread starter macrumors newbie

damn what kind of moron came up with this idea :\.

oke i will get the retail of Snow Leopard...that should work on all Intel Macs right ? even if they were supplied with another osx

9. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

The restore discs are only for use on the model they came with. They include additional software and drivers for that specific model. They also include programs like iLife, which the retail version of the OS does not include. That is why there are different discs.

But yes, using the retail copy of the Snow Leopard disc will enable you to install the OS on your Mac. Even if it shipped with an earlier version, Snow Leopard is compatible with all Intel Macs from 2006 onward.

In the future to easily tell the difference between when to use a retail or restore disc you may want to check out this guide I have created a while back. It comes in handy to help you identify what you need, or see the attached image below. Good luck! :)

Attached Files:

10. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

1) Thak you for editing your original post to clarify what you were trying to do.
    2) As Apple doesn't passkey lock up retail copies of its OS (unlike others), you get the most up to date bundled to (but specific to) your Mac (kond of like OEM versions of Windows). You want to reinstall your OS, you use the specific disk that came with your Mac. You want a newer OS, you buy the retail copy. SL will work.

11. littlefighter2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys,i will try it tommorow and report back :D:D

12. natewsmith macrumors regular

The reason you are getting that is because you are using the WRONG disc.

You have to use the original one that came with the Computer. There are 2 grey discs. One with the OS and the other is the Applications DVD.

I was having a MAJOR problem with this as well. Apple even sent me a wrong internal part number and went to an Apple Store and they gave me one out of the box and it worked fine.

I was going NUTS over this for more than a WEEK I was trying all sorts of things but nothing worked.... I had a retail copy of Snow Leopard as well and I tried that and it DID NOT WORK. You have to have the original GREY Discs....