Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GaresTaylan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 11, 2009
Hey everyone. I have been trying to make an install disc for the other Mac's in my home but every disc I burn - it gets spat out by the machine after burning.

Here are the steps I followed. This this no longer valid for the final release?

1. Purchase and download Lion from the Mac App Store on any Lion compatible Mac running Snow Leopard.
2. Right click on “Mac OS X Lion” installer and choose the option to “Show Package Contents.”
3. Inside the Contents folder that appears you will find a SharedSupport folder and inside the SharedSupport folder you will find the “InstallESD.dmg.” This is the Lion boot disc image we have all been waiting for.
4. Copy “InstallESD.dmg” to another folder like the Desktop.
5. Launch Disk Utility and click the burn button.
6. Select the copied “InstallESD.dmg” as the image to burn, insert a standard sized 4.7 GB DVD, and wait for your new Lion Boot Disc to come out toasty hot.

acurafan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
that process worked for me, installed lion from my minted dvd on couple of test imacs, try lowering burn rate (mine was 8x).

bjett92

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Indy, IN
I got my disc to burn, but when I tried to boot from the DVD it just kept spinning and wouldn't boot. I ended up going and buying a cheap flash drive to put Lion on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.