Can't install Mac OS X on my MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RazerRazer, Sep 7, 2014.

1. RazerRazer, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014

RazerRazer macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I have a little problem with my 2010 MacBook Pro 13". I was unable to start my Mac, when at the apple boot screen, after a little while, the apple changed to a prohibitory sign and the little circle kept spinning. Weirdly, I was still able to boot into my Bootcamp partition. I was unable to repair permissions or wipe the HD using my recovery partition, the disk utility always froze and showed different errors. So I was researching this problem and some people with similar problems said it was a faulty HD in their case. So I purchased a new HD and put it in my Mac, connected a bootable Mac OS X Mavericks installer USB to my Mac, chose it as the startup device, and then the same problem, the apple changes to a prohibitory sign. Hmm..., do you have any idea what to do?
    Thanks

EDIT:
    here's the pic of the prohibitory sign in case you don't know what I'm talking about ;) :
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Reboot while holding Cmd-V to get more details, and take another picture when it freezes.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

The 2010's are known to have a sketchy hard drive cable, if I were to guess I'd replace it.

4. RazerRazer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, here you go:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410171935.572979.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410171953.341182.jpg

5. RazerRazer thread starter macrumors newbie

But wouldn't that mean that Bootcamp would not boot, too?

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

That's the part that leaves me a bit confused. But I've seen a few threads on here where the symptoms were the exact same.

7. RazerRazer thread starter macrumors newbie

But even if it would be a faulty HD cable, why wouldn't the Mac boot the installation on the USB? It doesn't require the HD. Confusing

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

There's nothing obvious to me in the verbose log, but hopefully someone else will have some ideas.

9. GhettoMrBob macrumors regular

Try disconnecting the internal HD and booting to the install USB.

If that doesn't work I'd try pulling/swapping RAM and trying again if you're up to it.