Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pippin123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2020
Hi

ive purchased a second hand imac From eBay, It’s a earl 2009 model running El Capitan 10.11.6 saw it running and seller reset it, removed from their apple account and iCloud

im now having an issue trying to reinstall the os, it goes into the menu where you can reinstall os, disk utility etc.

i logged onto my WiFi, clicked the reinstall os option, went as far as logging in and then it just says temporary unavailable every time and gets no further

ive tried downloading the El Capitan from apple website and using transmac from my windows laptop but it doesn’t recognise the usb

so I’m stuck and need help please

thanks

Pippin123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2020
I downloaded the El Capitan file from Apple, and use the Transmac program to format the USB and make the bootable drive but it doesn't show up on the Mac

I don't have another mac to do this on, so I did it via Windows using a YouTube video.

Would I be better of trying a bootable usb from Amazon?

mmfood

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2020
Are you getting to the Disk Utility screen?
And is that where the USB is not showing up?

Last edited:

Pippin123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2020
It only boots into the MacOS Utilities, I can get into Disk Utility to fortmat the HDD and it does show the USB is there

It's not showing up if I turn on and hold options, it just shows the Mac recvoery partition/drive

Pippin123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2020
Yeah, it goes to the screen that is like this, but mine just shows the partition and no usb. i've tried different usb slots

1595844605540.png

mmfood

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2020
It maybe that the USB is not formatted correctly.
See this post on iFixit. See the answer.

mmfood

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2020
you might have to get help from a friend with a mac so they can create the bootable USB for you.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you're trying to create a bootable USB flash drive using transmac on a PC, I've heard that this can be a very "iffy" procedure.

Creating such a flashdrive had best be done ON A MAC -- then it becomes a pretty simple operation.

Hmmm....
You wrote in post 5 above:
"It only boots into the MacOS Utilities, I can get into Disk Utility to format the HDD and it does show the USB is there"

Can you connect the iMac into ethernet?
I WOULD NOT rely on wifi for this.
Plug it into ethernet. Move it if you have to.
Now, get to the recovery partition you describe above.
Can you now open the OS installer?
Does it go any differently using ethernet?

If not...

Do you know someone with a Mac?
If you do, that could make things MUCH easier.
IMPORTANT:
Tell us WHICH Mac, and WHAT VERSION OF THE OS is running on it.

Pippin123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2020
Thanks for your replies

I've tried the Ethernet option but it just has same outcome

I don't know anyone with a Mac which sucks, this is a Early 2009 model, 24" 2.66ghz with 4gb memory

Is there an option of buying a MacOS from ebay, as this has a disc drive? If so, any specific os I should aim for?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You can go on ebay.
There are sellers there who will sell you a USB flashdrive, with the OS installer of your choice pre-installed onto it.
Just "boot and go..."
Price seems to be around $20 or so.
I've never needed one, just passing this info along.

r6mile

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
Can you not do a clean Yosemite install from the recovery partition which you clearly have, and from there upgrade to El Capitan?

Pippin123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2020
Thanks I'll look into the usb option from Amazon or eBay
How do I do the recovery to Yosemite?

Pippin123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2020
Just an update: I decided to go for the USB El Capitain installer from Amazon, and it worked!

Turns out trying to make bootable via Windows 10 just doesn't work

Thanks for your help guys.

Reactions: mmfood
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.