Can't install Maverick...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Legion103, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Legion103 macrumors regular

Says I need 4.8 GB space, I have no music, rarely any pics on my air...

how can I clear space?

2. Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

Delete any apps that are taking a lot of space. MS Office and any high end games (diablo III, etc) take a bit of space. Also, delete your trash in mail.

If your reinstalling Mavericks, go into repair/restore at boot and just erase the partition and/or reformat it. It should get mavericks via the internet after that (unless you have it on a USB stick). Believe its Option + R or Command + R when you boot up the mac.

3. Legion103 thread starter macrumors regular

4. Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

Hmm. I'd do the internet recovery feature and just go into disk utilities before you click install/setup and just erase & format the partition. If you have an older macbook, you have have the install the OS X that came with that macbook before you can install mavericks. But its probably the least frustrating way to install mavericks.

5. motrek macrumors 68020

It's terrible advice to tell somebody to just start deleting apps with no idea how big the apps are or what other files are on the drive.

6. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Download and run Disk Inventory X to see what's actually consuming your diskspace, and then clean up accordingly. It's a very useful free utility.

http://www.derlien.com/