Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xpipe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
Well, this was unexpected.

Computer: 2010 iMac with 256GB SSD + 2TB HD + external Time Machine drive

Only the 2TB HD is selectable for installation as the other two drives are greyed out with the message "This disk is used for Time Machine backups".

So I turned off Time Machine,disconnected drive, and restarted computer. I still get the message about Time Machine.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    404.6 KB · Views: 1,082
  • 2.png
    2.png
    368.8 KB · Views: 991
  • 3.png
    3.png
    358.3 KB · Views: 756
Last edited:

Yester5

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I had the same issue. Open your HD folder and look for a backup folder there. Either delete it or move it to another drive.
I think the folder was put there when I transferred my settings from my MacBook Pro to my new iMac.

Reactions: BigShWiGr

xpipe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
Thanks...I'll give this a shot tonight when I get home!

Added: It worked!

Last edited:

wdavidow

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2017
The folder is pretty obviously named: `Backups.backupdb`

Just ran into this issue, and renaming the folder did indeed fix my problems... figured this might help someone!

Reactions: BigShWiGr

BigShWiGr

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2018
For somereason this happened to me while trying to update to Mojave. Found the file exactly as stated. Deleted it. Restarted. Now my Mac HD is available to choose. Thanks!

Reactions: MacAbba

MacAbba

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2018
Chicago
For somereason this happened to me while trying to update to Mojave. Found the file exactly as stated. Deleted it. Restarted. Now my Mac HD is available to choose. Thanks!
Thank you! This was a life saver as I had the same issue and I deleted the entire backup folder and the installation for Mojave is working ...Yay!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.