Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andy C

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2004
Farnborough, UK
Hi guys,

I have an early 2009 iMac (iMac9,1 20" C2D 2.66MHz) and I've been trying to install Mountain Lion. I've made a USB Key with the image and I'm installing on to a empty partition. The installer runs fine, however the time remaining is never higher than 4 minutes, usually switching between 2 and 3 minutes. The progress bar reaches the end and it'll keep alternation between 1 and 2 minutes remaining. The bad thing is it always pops up and error stating:

"Can't download additional components needed to install OS X"

The only option available to me is Restart. The iMac is online as it's wired and I can use Safari from the Help option to visit any site. I've also connected to my WiFi network with no joy.

Any ideas?

Andy

eagandale4114

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2011
Hi guys,

I have an early 2009 iMac (iMac9,1 20" C2D 2.66MHz) and I've been trying to install Mountain Lion. I've made a USB Key with the image and I'm installing on to a empty partition. The installer runs fine, however the time remaining is never higher than 4 minutes, usually switching between 2 and 3 minutes. The progress bar reaches the end and it'll keep alternation between 1 and 2 minutes remaining. The bad thing is it always pops up and error stating:

"Can't download additional components needed to install OS X"

The only option available to me is Restart. The iMac is online as it's wired and I can use Safari from the Help option to visit any site. I've also connected to my WiFi network with no joy.

Any ideas?

Andy
Use this guide for creating an installer with the components that are missing.
However it wont create a recovery partition. This guide has a script that will create one for you.

BradMX

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
Hey. First time poster on MacRumors.

I was struggling with this problem for an hour or so, and managed to solve it by simply reformating my USB drive using Disk Utility and running Lion Diskmaker again.

Hope this helps someone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.