Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 27, 2005
I just purchased a 4gb nano, but i can't install the software on my ibook G3 dual USB. I realize it doesn't have a USB 2.0 port; could the software be recognizing this an thus not allowing me to install?

I get to the point in the install program that asks which drive I want it on and shows how much space it will take up. It indicates that "0 bytes" are required for the install and then the next step won't let me install any of the packages.

Any help here?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Maybe you already have it. Is there an iPod Software Updater in your Utilities folder already? It really should be plug and play on most modern Macs.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 27, 2005
mad jew said:
Maybe you already have it. Is there an iPod Software Updater in your Utilities folder already? It really should be plug and play on most modern Macs.

Apparently there are two, dated within a couple of months of each other. I had no idea. Does this mean I can just plug in my nano and go (sorry, first ipod)?

Also, should I delete one of the ipod updaters in my util folder?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
You can delete the earlier one because it certainly won't have the nano firmware in it. How new is the newest one though?

Irrespective, I just plugged a nano straight into my Mac when I first got it (Tiger and the latest version of iTunes at the time) and it's all worked perfectly ever since - no need to install anything extra. :)

munckee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 27, 2005
mad jew said:
You can delete the earlier one because it certainly won't have the nano firmware in it. How new is the newest one though?

Irrespective, I just plugged a nano straight into my Mac when I first got it (Tiger and the latest version of iTunes at the time) and it's all worked perfectly ever since - no need to install anything extra. :)

Thanks, I guess I'll have to give it a try. The newer updater is marked 9/23, so its pretty new.

Any tips on how to live with USB 1.1 for a while on the nano? Will it do everything I need it to, or will I need to use firewire? I'm assuming I have to go buy a firewire for my nano to use it that way?

doucy2

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
go to apple and download the newest ipod updater
that show fix all the probs

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
munckee said:
Thanks, I guess I'll have to give it a try. The newer updater is marked 9/23, so its pretty new.

Any tips on how to live with USB 1.1 for a while on the nano? Will it do everything I need it to, or will I need to use firewire? I'm assuming I have to go buy a firewire for my nano to use it that way?

USB 1 should be fine, just slower. My shuffle worked fine with my old PB when I first got it.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
munckee said:

You can't use Firewire on the nano or the new iPod, the 4G was the last of the iPods to support firewire. It's simply not possible to use firewire on the new generation of iPods.

Plug in your nano and check if it is charging, if it is that's a good thing - you have a powered USB port. If not, you're going to need the USB power adapter to charge your nano. The best way to use USB 1.1 would be to start the song transfer and let it go whilst you are out for a while or before bed time - it's gonna take some time. Then just use it normally for incremental updates.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 27, 2005
rickvanr said:
USB 1 should be fine, just slower. My shuffle worked fine with my old PB when I first got it.

Awesome. Thanks Rick, I'll give it a shot.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Mmmm, what are you trying to do? iTunes is all you need in terms of software -- the updater is only good for updating the software on the iPod -- you don't really need it for anything else. You should just be able to plug it in and iTunes should launch. :)

munckee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 27, 2005
Thanks guys, another dumb question:

My roommate has a PC with USB 2.0 on it. I was going to use his PC to control my ipod for a while. Is there any reason why I won't be able to flip back and forth between a mac and a PC? Should I just grab some music and use my mac to control the ipod, or will I be ok switching it back and forth?

munckee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 27, 2005
mad jew said:
Unless you manually manage your music, you cannot sync libraries with more than one computer, Mac or PC.

Pardon my ineptitude, but since this is my first ipod can you explain that a bit further? What exactly can I do/not do?

The other option is just to use the PC for a while and then switch over completely to the mac later (and reformat the ipod in the process if necessary).

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
iTunes gives you three choices to get music onto your ipod.

By default, it'll try to automatically sync your entire library onto the iPod meaning whatever playlists and tunes you have on the computer will be mimicked on the iPod. Delete a track on the computer and it gets removed from the iPod next time you plug it in.

You can alternatively choose to merely sync certain playlists instead. This is very similar to syncing the library but obviously not all songs go across to the iPod. This is what I do because my library is bigger than my iPod.

Thirdly, you can manually manage your music meaning you can treat the iPod like it's own individual and separate library. You drag songs to the iPod in iTunes, make playlists and AFAIK can do so from multiple libraries (computers). Obviously the automatically syncing options only work with one computer. Try to sync it with another computer and you'll lose everything already on the iPod.

Hope this helps a little. :)

munckee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 27, 2005
Ah! Makes perfect sense (why couldn't they have written that in the "getting started" manual??)! I noticed the first option; it asked me if I wanted to sync the ipod to my computer. I told it no because I too will have more music than space on the ipod. How do I tell it to use the second option if I decide to do that? I'm assuming that the third option is what I'm doing now since I told it not to sync at all.

mad jew said:
iTunes gives you three choices to get music onto your ipod.

By default, it'll try to automatically sync your entire library onto the iPod meaning whatever playlists and tunes you have on the computer will be mimicked on the iPod. Delete a track on the computer and it gets removed from the iPod next time you plug it in.

You can alternatively choose to merely sync certain playlists instead. This is very similar to syncing the library but obviously not all songs go across to the iPod. This is what I do because my library is bigger than my iPod.

Thirdly, you can manually manage your music meaning you can treat the iPod like it's own individual and separate library. You drag songs to the iPod in iTunes, make playlists and AFAIK can do so from multiple libraries (computers). Obviously the automatically syncing options only work with one computer. Try to sync it with another computer and you'll lose everything already on the iPod.

Hope this helps a little. :)

munckee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 27, 2005
PS: You guys (and gals) have been SO helpful! Thanks! I posted a couple of these questions on the apple forum last night and nobody has touched them. I really appreciate the help over here!

seerose

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2005
i think i mite no wat to do with that

first where did u buy ur nano from, then u can look up the geek squad, because they install things and fiz computer things for not much money at all

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
munckee said:
Ah! Makes perfect sense (why couldn't they have written that in the "getting started" manual??)! I noticed the first option; it asked me if I wanted to sync the ipod to my computer. I told it no because I too will have more music than space on the ipod. How do I tell it to use the second option if I decide to do that? I'm assuming that the third option is what I'm doing now since I told it not to sync at all.

The option is given to you in the iPod preference pane. When you plug in the iPod there's a little button that appears at the lower right of the library window that looks like an iPod, click this and explore.

Personally I find manually syncing the best way to go, you know exactly what's on your iPod, you can use it with multiple computers and listen to your friends' music on your iPod and it makes transferring songs back to your Mac much easier with programs like Senuti.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
seerose said:
first where did u buy ur nano from, then u can look up the geek squad, because they install things and fiz computer things for not much money at all

There's no character limit here, it's not a text message, please use full words. It makes your posts far easier to understand when the words can be read easily rather than having to decipher abbreviations.

/forum etiquette nazi

munckee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 27, 2005
seerose said:

:rolleyes: Thanks, but I really don't need to call the geek squad. I'm not computer illiterate in the slightest, I'm just trying to learn the ins and outs of a new ipod. If it's that much trouble for you to answer a couple of questions (which is the point of the forum), then just move on and don't bother.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
munckee said:
:rolleyes: Thanks, but I really don't need to call the geek squad. I'm not computer illiterate in the slightest, I'm just trying to learn the ins and outs of a new ipod. If it's that much trouble for you to answer a couple of questions (which is the point of the forum), then just move on and don't bother.

How's it all going anyway? Got it sorted? Hope so.

I was all ready to get my new 30GB iPod for Christmas this year as my combined Christmas/graduation present however one of those events isn't happening this year - give you one guess as to which one - so it will be 6 more months till I can lay my hands on some fresh 'pod so helping people will have to tide me over.

Ah well, 6 more months to encode "House," "M*A*S*H," "Arrested Development" lots more TV shows. And to accrue more music from the store (it's good, needs Sony BMG, but it's good).

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Munckee, if you decide to use one of the three options, and want to change it at a later time, you can always plug the iPod into the computer in question, and when iTunes launches, you can go to the preferences. You will notice that in Preferences, there is a tab for the iPod, which will normally be blank, with a message similar to "There is no iPod connected to the computer." When an iPod is connected, this tab will give you a number of options, including the three options Mad Jew described. So you can always change from one to another this way.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 27, 2005
Thanks mkrishnan.

It got put on hold last night until I decide whether to use the PC or the mac (or both). I'll finish it this afternoon.

Dumb question. Found answer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.