Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keith moore

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Ok this issue has a little of history so please bare with me.

Few months ago I had issues with my G5, brought it to Tekserve and they discovered that the liquid cooled processor had leaked and killed both the processor and logic board. They replaced both for free. At that point I installed a new drive (Western Digital 300gb VelociRaptor) With OSX 10.4.11 and Pro Tools HD 7.3.1cs8. I worked for a few months and would have issues such as the black screen of death (the one with the chinese writing), A black low level user screen asking me for user name and password and the grey screen of death. But after a restart it would work. Well that is until one day it didn't. It remained stuck at the grey screen of death with the grey apple. After about a zillion restarts I went to best buy and installed ANOTHER new drive. This time a western digital 500gb Caviar Green. Installed everything and about a week later same issue happened.

Now here is the strange part, the original drive that came with the computer will work. I have also replaced the PRAM battery and reset the PRAM. The one thing (that I can think of) that I haven't tried yes is install from a different installer disc.

Anyone have any ideas before I go back to the shop?

Thanks,

Keith Moore

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Do you have your hardware test disc? I know Apple has some of them up for free download at the support part of the site, but I've never looked for a G5 one...

Other than that, Disc Warrior may help, but it may just be that the leak caused some sort of problem in the hardware that is eventually leading to either file or drive corruption (or it's overheating, causing the drives to overheat). Have you tested the "dead" drives in another machine? Tried installing the os in them, or when you get a new one working blanking and reformatting the "dead" ones?

keith moore

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Do you have your hardware test disc? I know Apple has some of them up for free download at the support part of the site, but I've never looked for a G5 one...

Other than that, Disc Warrior may help, but it may just be that the leak caused some sort of problem in the hardware that is eventually leading to either file or drive corruption (or it's overheating, causing the drives to overheat). Have you tested the "dead" drives in another machine? Tried installing the os in them, or when you get a new one working blanking and reformatting the "dead" ones?

I do not have the Apple hardware test disk. I ran Techtool, Utility disc repair & permission repair. I also ran Rember to test the RAM. What confuses me is why hasn't th original drive become corrupt?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.