Can't install operating system after replacing the hard drive on my mac book pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by blegault, Oct 1, 2011.

1. blegault, Oct 1, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2011

blegault macrumors newbie

just installed a new hard drive on my mac book pro and when I try to install the operating system it just won't recognize. I followed the instruction that I received from the apple store and online. (I did have the apple store guy do a diagnostic and they verified that the hard drive was bad and needed replaced). I insert the operating system disk, turn on the computer while holding down the "C" key. The apple logo will show on the screen with the spinning wheel but then nothing. It will spin for a while then the screen just goes blank. Can anyone help me with this issue?

2. Apple2 macrumors member

Apple2

You need to format the drive to Mac OSX Extended - Journaled. Boot from C and use disk utility to do this.

EDIT: Use TD mode with another mac, and then Disk Utility on that mac to format the new drive if you can't boot from C.

3. goMac macrumors 603

You shouldn't need to do this. I mean, you will before install, but it has nothing to do with the issue.

Could be a bad disk. I'd revisit the store and have them check the disk with the machine.

4. nambuccaheadsau macrumors 6502a

nambuccaheadsau

Just bear in mind your laptop has a slot loading superdrive and they are very prone to failing. Might do better in the MacBook forums as this is for Mac Pro's - you know the big silver buggers?

5. blegault thread starter macrumors newbie

Figured it out

Was able to figure it out, for future reference all I did to get it to load up the operating disk was to reset the ram according to instructions.

6. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Would that have been reseat RAM or reset PRAM?