Can't install OS update due to broken screen

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by js1103, Apr 4, 2011.

1. js1103, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011

js1103 macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I'm having an issue here that I can't seem to conquer. Running an old PowerBook G4 Titanium with a missing LCD screen (snapped off long ago). I've been able to use it while hooked up to an external monitor via DVI, using mirroring; However, I haven't been able to upgrade the OS because when the CPU restarts and boots from the CD, the installation instructions default to the original (missing) screen and I therefore can't see anything. I have read before about running in "clamshell" mode and having an external keyboard and mouse attached, but this has not worked for me as there is no screen to close. I've tried mirroring (F7), and even dragging the installation screen contents over, but to no avail. Does anyone out there know any way around this?

Thanks in advance.

----------

Powerbook G4 Titanium
    OS 10.4.11
    1GB SDRAM

2. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

You have to manually trigger the latch to read that the lid is closed. At least I am pretty sure thats where the closed sensor is.

Cheers

3. MacHamster68, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

here that site will exactly tell you where that little magnet sits to trigger clamshell in the various apple laptops
    http://mrob.com/pub/ibook.html

4. ragu macrumors member

ragu

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You are replying to a thread that is over four years old.

I'm pretty sure they have either moved on, long since solved the problem or upgraded since 2011.

6. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

This thread is from 2011, lad. Your post is pretty much irrelevant as chances are the OP has upgraded since :)

7. ragu macrumors member

ragu

true guess i had better pay more attention to dates